Can’t steer minn Kota fortex trolling motor

Don’t know if this has been discussed in the past or not but here is my problem. Just bought a new Ranger rt198P aluminum bass boat with an 80 lb thrust forex trolling motor. On its first time out I wanted to see how fast the trolling motor moved the boat with speed setting at 100. There was so much torque that I could not move pedal to steer it. It felt like I would snap the cable if I forced it. Is this something that can be corrected? With speed setting at 40 steering & moving pedal is not an issue.

Develop stronger leg muscles. I had a couple of 36V Motor Guide Tour motors that were a bear to steer at the highest setting.
    The Troll Perfect helped some.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    If the motor is new, then shouldn't be anything bent to make steering hard. This means to check and make sure it's mounted straight on the boat when the boat is in the water. If it "leans" any direction, then it will develop a torque at the higher speeds. The fix, if that's the problem, is to mount it where it's straight, or as mentioned above learn to live with it. You can check the steering tension screw in the front of the footpedal (located under the wiring harness) but do not over tighten. This is to eliminate slop in the footpedal and should be adjusted to allow the footpedal to start moving the motor when direction is changed.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    What do you mean by mounting the trolling motor straight? I am having the same problem with my new X5.

5. Member
    When the boat is setting in the water, with you on the bow, the shaft should be as close to vertical as possible. Most boats have a bow that is designed to make this happen. Also, the angle of the deck can make the mount tilt left/right, place the shaft out of line from vertical.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

If this boat is NEW, you should immediately take it to the Dealer and have HIM correct the problem. It's HIS job !! You could void the warrentee by messing with it yourself.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents