Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As I said youtube is your friend...you can see water coming from the two small holes I was talking about plus you can see he has his water hose pressure about right. He also does the cold start procdure correct but he does not explain it...

trim motor level
    squeeze fuel bulb until firm
    raise fast idle lever
    push in on key and release to enrich the carburetors...this sprays fuel into the carbs...I have seen people do it once and it works and I have seen people push/release the key as high as 3 times before attempting to start. You will have to figure out how much fuel you need.
    turn the key and start
    once it fires it should idle high
    if it sounds like it starving for fuel push and release the key real fast
    once it starts to smooth out lower the fast idle lever. you will figure out how fast/slow to lower and when

You can raise and lower the fast idle lever similiar to what you do to a gas pedal on a vehicle to rev the motor. DO NOT not put it in gear and rev to high rpm. The motor is out of water and has no back pressure so rpms can quickly hit the roof. When on a water hose rpm's should stay low Once the motor is warm it should start the first time you hit the key for the rest of the day.

This video is good but he does not explain why he done what he done...it called a cold start procedure.

Last edited by JR19; 01-11-2018 at 07:25 PM.

2. Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I didnt use a hose because i was just going to fire it and shut it down like i did it just took more cranking then i thought it would it to fire. I was told that starting it without for couple seconds would not hurt it just not something u want to do often. My only water supply is outdoors and its single digits here in Indiana so that wasnt an option. But thanks to everyone that responded BBC is the best group of guys out there. If everyone was like u guys the world would not be as messed up as it is. Glad to see there is still good people left.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    I was told that starting it without for couple seconds would not hurt it just not something u want to do often.
    Take what I am about to post with a grain of salt...but just because something might be okay short term does not make it right or a good thing long term. I doubt you ruined your impeller but I bet it would have been better if water was present. With that being said I should be the last person to preach about doing something that's not good so I feel somewhat like a hypocrite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12