Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS 7 Gen 3 and HDI transducer for ice fishing...?

I realize there are dedicated units and we conversion kits for some units, but I was wondering if I will be able to use what I have without buying any new equipment...? I figure I'll have to rig up something that will keep the transducer hanging level, as well as something to mount the head unit on. Has anyone done this before and do you have any pictures of how I might go about making this work? Are there any drawbacks to using what I have?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I did it with my 798 hummingbird and works awesome. I will see if I can get some pics tonight's but I was abe to get the whole setup including battery to fit in a 2.5 gal bucket.

3. Member
    The Dave Genz blue box from Clam may work for mounting the head unit on...Or you can make up something yourself..
    I would think you could mount the transducer to a piece of PVC pipe or something to keep it level.

4. Member
    I have a RAM mount for it so maybe I can make up something that'll sit on a plastic bucket.
    Is there a standard depth that you would set the transducer at...?

5. Member

So this is my unit. It all fits into a 2.5 gallon bucket including head unit. I mounted the unit mount to the top of the bucket and fold it down for transport. My ducer I mounted to a piece of aluminum stock it bent from home depot. I just added the 2 fold out extra pieces of aluminum to better level the ducer in the hole. Typically I drill 2 holes 6 inches apart. 1 for ducer and one for jigging. Right now the ducer sits about 8 inches down the hole. At some point I may need to make an extension piece to get it further down as the ice grows thicker. Hope this gives you some ideas...

6. Member
    That gives me a few great ideas, thanks for posting the pictures! What settings do you usually use? And what kind of a battery are you using to power it? Thanks!

7. Member
    I got a 12v 7.5 ah/ 20hr battery. It is the Wild game innovations battery that they use in deer feeders. Bought it at Tractor supply for like $20. It will last about 2 full days. I always charge mine when done fishing though.
    In terms of settings my hummingbird actually has a Ice Fishing setting built in the menu. Turns off side and down imaging. Gives you 2d sonar or a flasher unit plus gives you gps. Though the gps is dumb in this unit. It always shows me on shore or somewhere I know I am not. I always run 2d and typically I run 200 htz. That is the smallest cone areally and gives you the best reading on your bait. Turn up the chart speed and adjust sensitivity to the conditions. It is the closest thing to playing video games when the fish get aggressive....

8. Member
    I appreciate the input, I'll find myself a battery and start messing around with some flat metal for the transducer. I never would have thought of a second hole for it but it makes complete sense. I'm hoping to come across a day or two like that this winter, that sounds like a lot of fun.

9. Member
    I use two holes now because I hate having to try and fight a fish and pull the dang thing out of the hole and also because once you get it adjusted properly sometimes it takes a minute to readjust to get it level if you pull from the hole. If I could count how many back to back perch I have caught that I probably would have never caught if I was fooling around getting my ducer back in the water the numbers would be staggering.

10. Member
    That's exactly what I'm hoping we'll find, just smelt instead of perch.

11. Member
    I'm not positive but I'd guess that the lowrance ice fishing transducer will work with the hds. I think you'll like that much better than trying to constantly adjust and level your hdi. I switched from a flasher to a helix 7ice this winter and am really starting to like it. If you adjust the maximum depth off auto it speeds up the graph considerably

12. Member
    You can also buy a power cable with cig lighter plug to power your graph. I use mine a lot when driving out on the ice. And it's really nice having a trail to follow back after dark or in a snowstorm.

13. Member
    Good call on the auto depth setting. Once I pick up a battery, I'm going to tinker around with the settings and see what's available to be tweaked.
    I think in order to use the ice transducer, I would also need an adaptor to go from the black plug to the blue one on my HDS. I'm fairly certain I can come up with a dependable way to level out the transducer with a little garage mechanicing.

I use an elite 5 TI. I mounted a ram mount to a marine latch sealed box. PVC pipe to hang transducer.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keng8554 View Post
    I use an elite 5 TI. I mounted a ram mount to a marine latch sealed box. PVC pipe to hang transducer.
    Would you mind posting a pic or two of your setup?

16. Member
    What you have will work fine. The battery Awood posted will run the unit and GPS for 2 full days with still power left. Just don't charge the battery with a 12v Charger. It will get too warm and swell. You can charge it back up by your cigarette lighter in the truck on the way home if you have the connector. Or a 120v receptacle plug putting out 12v.. PM me your phone# and Ill send some pics. Or someone that can post the photo for me..

Quote Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post
    Would you mind posting a pic or two of your setup?
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

The sleeve lets me change the shaft length by exchanging pieces of PVC of various lengths. First time out I had a 4" piece, now there are two 6" pieces.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    What you have will work fine. The battery Awood posted will run the unit and GPS for 2 full days with still power left. Just don't charge the battery with a 12v Charger. It will get too warm and swell. You can charge it back up by your cigarette lighter in the truck on the way home if you have the connector. Or a 120v receptacle plug putting out 12v.. PM me your phone# and Ill send some pics. Or someone that can post the photo for me..
    You and A Wood are both taking about sealed lead acid batteries, right? Would a trickle setting work to charge it without worrying about it swelling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast