96 150 EFI help?

Hey guys, I have a 96 Mariner Magnum EFI 2.5L, serial # is OG337303. I did a tune up on it this weekend. New fuel filter, inline oil filter, plugs and impeller rebuild kit. I fired it up in the driveway with the muffs to make sure everything was good. I noticed whenever I put it in gear, either fwrd or reverse the prop won't spin. The boat does have a hot foot. I have to rev it considerably to get the prop to spin. This is the first time I start it in the driveway but I know before when on the water just putting it in gear it would cruise about 3.5mph. So that means something's not right.... right? Any suggestions before i have to tear it back down? Not sure what I'm missing here.

2. Member
    missed the shift shaft engagement pull gearcase and align shift shaft correctly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    missed the shift shaft engagement pull gearcase and align shift shaft correctly
    Any specific way to do this? I don't want to do this too many more times. Thanks

4. Member
    shifter in N and gearcase in N [its kind of a feel thing] but you can sometimes see if shafts are ingaged ,notice splines on shift shaft and upper shift shft,DO NOT force it ,if you bend upper shaft big trouble, hope this helps ya
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    How do i know if gear case is in neutral?

6. Member
    I've done this so many times and never had any trouble.

7. Member
    spin the prop,and if it not slowly pull shift rod up or down by hand to get neutral

8. Member
    does prop spin freely both ways, does not rotate when ds is turned

9. Member
    If I remember correctly the prop wasn't spinning when i turned the drive shaft.

10. Member
    only choice is it pull it back out and start over

11. Member
    Good step by step on sherms page.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm

12. Member
    Huge thank you to everyone who helped. Got home in time and fixed it. The lower shift shaft wasn't attached at all! Can't believe I missed this.