Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Had a skeeter given to me!

Long Story short, A good family friend of mine had a 80s something skeeter starfire his dad had bought new. It had a newer 175 horse mercury on it but the boat itself wasnt in the best condition. Its very solid and no issues just old and had been kept outside a lot over the years. He ended up buying a newer ranger hull and throwing the motor on it. About 3 years ago when he did this he just parked the skeeter out beside his shop in the weather and elements. I ask him the other day if he would sell it and he ended up giving it to me. Originally I wanted in for our trolling motor only lake as 18-19 foot glass bass boats are very common on this lake. Now im almost thinking about fixing it up and finding a motor for it. What are you alls thoughts and opinions? I realize everything interior wise will have to be gone through and replaced.

Check the interior for water intrusion

Post some pics please
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Check the interior for water intrusion

Post some pics please
    Will do! I dont even have it at my house yet. Have to air up a couple dry rotted tires first. lol

4. Member
    don't pull it too fast or far

I love old Starfire's as that was the first boat I learned to drive. They were great looking boats back in the day and still look good today. Check the transom for dry rot.

I myself would just trolling motor fish it, cause I have a gas powered boat already
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Those old Starfire boats were good boats back in the day... There are a few still in good shape around here and I had a guy pull up next to me in one at a ramp last year... It's crazy to look at em side by side...10 years difference is a lot but 30 years is like two different dimensions of bass fishing..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Those old Starfire boats were good boats back in the day... There are a few still in good shape around here and I had a guy pull up next to me in one at a ramp last year... It's crazy to look at em side by side...10 years difference is a lot but 30 years is like two different dimensions of bass fishing..
    indeed! I have only owned a stratos and a charger glass boat but from what i have read they are solid old boats. Im thinking about carpet and seat job, and throwing a motor on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    indeed! I have only owned a stratos and a charger glass boat but from what i have read they are solid old boats. Im thinking about carpet and seat job, and throwing a motor on it.
    Before I went with a motor in it is check the transom... All of those old boats no matter the brand were suspect to rot... There was no other way back then... But if you like a project... You got one...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Before I went with a motor in it is check the transom... All of those old boats no matter the brand were suspect to rot... There was no other way back then... But if you like a project... You got one...
    Yeah im going to check it out for sure. I do know it was solid a few years back because i have fished out of it. I still havnt even gotten it home yet. Been to busy with work. Once I get her picked up i will post some pics.