Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daiwa tatula sv TW

I bought one on eBay and it didn’t free spool worth a darn. Returned it and bought another from a different seller. Same result. Is this normal for those reels? I might get 3-5 seconds of spin when I crank the wheel and pull the trigger. I loosened mag brake to zero and backed way off of spool tension. Also oiled bearings but this had no impact.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. Member
    I have 17 SV TW reels, bought new and used, from all different sellers including Ebay, and have had no problems with any of them. A buddy of mine let me use his on a fishing trip earlier this year. I liked it so much I switch all of my reels over.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

My question is is it normal for these to have lousy free spool straight of box? If so, much different then my curados.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. Member
    I haven't checked all of mine, but the ones I did check would spin forever, just like my Shimano E7's.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    My question is is it normal for these to have lousy free spool straight of box? If so, much different then my curados.
    I bought a new one to try. Same here with the freespool. Maybe 3-4 seconds then a dead stop

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The SV spool is different than Curados and non-SV Daiwas such as the Tatula CT. The spool is designed to slow down on it's own and it's one of the reasons it's hard to backlash. That said, I don't find the Tat SVs spin any less than my E7s when the brakes and spool tension is completely backed off.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Fishing is a Passion
    Sounds like a possible bad batch of reels
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Banned
    Sounds normal for the 6-7 reels I have.

Do do they have line on them? They won't spin very long without the weight of the line.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I bought a new one to try. Same here with the freespool. Maybe 3-4 seconds then a dead stop
    I have three from two different places. All three are new and the same way.

10. Member
    That’s normal , the reel is fine . It will cast perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The SV spool is different than Curados and non-SV Daiwas such as the Tatula CT. The spool is designed to slow down on it's own and it's one of the reasons it's hard to backlash. That said, I don't find the Tat SVs spin any less than my E7s when the brakes and spool tension is completely backed off.
    This. Also you mentioned that you oiled the bearings, they are already oiled from the factory and more oil will just make them free spin less. Take them out, flush with lighter fluid (let soak for a bit in a shot glass) then dry them and add ONE drop of quality oil. They will then free spool and cast best. I have been using this oil lately and it's amazing! Better than the rocket fuel I used to use

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...ducts_id=10375

With all that said, I have noticed that the SV reels dont free spool as "freely" as others, but they cast just fine and long. Something else I noticed is that the SV reels need less magnetic braking as far as the dial is concerned, where I run my other Daiwas between 10-16 I run the SV's well below half usually around 6-8 (all of this based on 1-20, yes I know some are numbered 1-10 but there are 20 clicks)
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

12. Member
    5-7 seconds spin is what mine does, full of line, brakes at zero, loose tension. Stock out of box form havent cleaned bearings yet.

Well, I bought this to put on a jig rod to learn to skip better so we shall see. Kinda feel bad for sending the first one back.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    This. Also you mentioned that you oiled the bearings, they are already oiled from the factory and more oil will just make them free spin less. Take them out, flush with lighter fluid (let soak for a bit in a shot glass) then dry them and add ONE drop of quality oil. They will then free spool and cast best. I have been using this oil lately and it's amazing! Better than the rocket fuel I used to use

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...ducts_id=10375

With all that said, I have noticed that the SV reels dont free spool as "freely" as others, but they cast just fine and long. Something else I noticed is that the SV reels need less magnetic braking as far as the dial is concerned, where I run my other Daiwas between 10-16 I run the SV's well below half usually around 6-8 (all of this based on 1-20, yes I know some are numbered 1-10 but there are 20 clicks)
    Its fine then. I’ve never had one so wasn’t sure

Well, I bought this to put on a jig rod to learn to skip better so we shall see. Kinda feel bad for sending the first one back.
    Its a jig skipping machine of a reel! Adjust spool tension the same as normal (just to the point there is no side to side slop, but NO tighter!) and turn the megnetic braking up a bit more than you use for casting the same jig. VERY first skip I tried with my Tat SV I sent a jig skipping about 25+ft under a tree and then about 10+ feet up the bank! HAHA I was amazed.

Something you can do to help yourself if you are learning to skip (and I still do sometimes so I dont have to pay as much attention or in case I make a mistake like hitting a piling) is make a long cast, then lay a single wrap of electrical tape on the spool. Wind it back up and now if you make a mistake or the jig digs in the water and you backlash, it's only one cast worth of line that will lash and it's usually very easy to fix, rather than a whole spool blowing up which can really suck!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

16. Member
    There are reasons they tout it as a anti backlash reel. Freespool spinning is not a good indicator of a good reel. I have a old abu that won’t spin for a second but casts super light lures a mile. Similarly had a pflegur that spun like nothing else and was a pos. Long story short, take it out and try it.

A foot or more of ice on local lakes. I won’t be taking it out for a few months.

F90BC0CA-7B50-4BBA-9784-646E68A80836.jpg

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

18. Member
    Wont free spin for days as thats why its hard to backlash..will cast like a dream..carry on

19. Member
    I've got 5. All the same as what you've described. Can't wait to get them out and try them.

20. Member
    cast it out on the street or park.
    A foot or more of ice on local lakes. I won’t be taking it out for a few months.

2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast