Electrical gremlins on 1988 Johnson GT150 J150STLCCA

I have what I believe are some gremlins in my control box and wanted to see if others have seen or experienced this.

First one is the buzzer. I get no sound when key is turned on. I have grounded the temp switch and it will activate the buzzer. It will not activate the buzzer with the test going in under the high idle lever with a key or thin metal object either. But i can see there is a piece of plastic that doesn't look to be in it's correct location. It's sticking out of the split in the box a bit.

Second is the trim will turn on by itself. Always trimming down. I've caught it in the act and disconnected front and rear trim switches with it continuing to run so that just leaves the switch on the throttle.
    It's been a while since I have looked at the wiring diagram and my book is at home. I see both the ignition switch and the trim switch in my head but I don't recall it showing them being connected in any way. It's been eating on me this morning. Is that trim switch going through the ignition switch in the remote? I haven't had the control box off. Need to find a long skinny arm to reach the back nut.

Any one run into anything like this?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You may not have the self test alarm horn that chirps when the key is turned on. They came out after 89. The trim doesn't come in contact with the ignition switch either. You probably have a chaffed wire in the trim harness at the control box possibly the red and green wires (green is for down) here is a schematic for a surface mount control box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Gotcha that makes me feel a little more at ease with the buzzer. I'll see if I can't snake my arm in there and get that control box loose tonight.
    Thanks

4. Member
    Got the control box off. All good there. Started digging and found the wires that are coming from the front trim switch were discolored back in the bilge area. Like getting too hot discolored. Went to disconnect the front switch and that is when I found it.... Looks at some point this boat housed mice. The green trim wire and most the other wires had been exposed. Now to rewire. Got to love old used boats.