2004 Mercury Optimax 225

Serial#0T817222
    2004 Mercury Optimax 225
    24 Fury
    4950 Max RPM
    Smartcraft Gauge

I am looking at purchasing a boat with a 2004 225 Optimax. The motor has a new mercury powerhead and new lower unit. I test drove the boat and can only get 4950 rpm out of the motor with top end of 50 mph with the 24 fury (prop just received after reworked). The injectors have been sent off twice to be cleaned. New Fuel Pump.

I was able to test the compression on two cylinders(couldn't get to the other plugs easily) in the the parking lot with the motor cold and the compression was 105-110 psi.

Motor cranked immediately, ran well. Motor is getting on pad quickly. The boat ran a 25 tempest fine before the powerhead and lower unit were replaced.

Any ideas from what would be causing these problems? Fuel Problem? Timing Advancement? Coils?

I am going to ask for a serial/model number of the lower unit for the gear ratio. 1.75:1 is the factory gear ratio correct?

Any idea will be appreciated.

2. Member
    Shouldn't be the case with the recent work to the motor, but from what I've heard, these boats can drag along a dead cylinder pretty easy. Typically the bottom two are the cylinders that have issues (and are, of course, the hardest to get to). At a minimum, I would want a full and properly performed compression and leakdown test before I considered anything other than an absolute steal of a purchase.

3. Member
    How fast can the seller drive the boat?

4. Member
    Same. He told me what it would run before i ran it and all i could do was the same.

5. Member
    I assume you have a hot foot type throttle. I would make sure the throttle on the engine is opening all the way when the pedal is fully depressed.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abr View Post
    Same. He told me what it would run before i ran it and all i could do was the same.
    I would pass and find a boat that didn't have so many problems!