2003 Mercury Racing 250 XS reliability?

I'm looking at a boat that has a 2003 Mercury 250XS racing motor on it. I don't have the serial number, sorry, but the sticker says it was built in 2003 and built buy Mercury racing. Does anyone know anything about the reliability of these motors? I have read that they are very strong motors and built at another facility that the production motors, I'm just curious if they're more reliable and use better components or are they less reliable since they're higher compression (this one requires 91+ octane) and designed and built for racing? Being a 2003 year model so to speak would it be considered an opti pop model? It has 347 hours on it and appears to have been well taken care of.

Thanks
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

2. Member
    What exactly do you consider is an opti pop model?

3. Member
    One of the early models that were known for popping powerheads...
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

4. Member
    The motor is 15 years old, so reliability will be determined by how well the motor was maintained.

5. Member
    I have a 2005 250XS and it has been fine so far. Like all optis it has the troublesome air compressor. I doubt there is any significant difference in quality between the XS and the PROduction XS.

6. Member
    Gehol, I ended up passing on the above mentioned boat and motor, only because of the boat itself. I have found another boat with an 06 motor that doesn't require the 91 octane. What is wrong with the air compressors on these Optis that are troublesome? Is there a certain year range that has bad compressors? I will find out more about this motor ina few days.
    Last edited by rcraigrrt; 01-20-2018 at 05:53 AM.

7. Member
    Sometime in or around 06 the XS was changed to run on 87 minimum. My understanding is that the XS and ProXS power heads are very similar if not identical after the change over. On a new engine there will be some warranty differences and available lower units MAY be different. In a used one of course that is of no concern. As far as the compressors, I don't know if they are any troublesome years or not. One of the biggest concerns, at least for me, is the expense if you lose a compressor. It is likely to wipe out several injectors plus the whole system, rails, injectors has to be cleaned and checked. Including the compressor this can run into a few thousand dollars. Having said that I have so far liked my XS. It is pretty easy on fuel compared to older technology. The XS that needs the 91 octane is known to be quite strong. I believe Don and others claim they will normally dyno 270+ at the prop.
    I would put more confidence in what Don or Savage might have to say. Do keep in mind that generally you only hear about the ones that fail.

8. Member
    I have an 04 250xs with a little over 300 hours I've owned it for 6 years and it has been a great engine for me.

9. Member
    I had a 2005 250XS for 12 years, only problem I ever had was the fuel rails shortly after I got it, Mercury replaced them and had no issues, Great Motor

10. Member
    I have a 2003 xs250. It's a great motor. 2003 seemed to be a better year, than some years. No coil pak problems from everything I've read.