Water in compartment behind drivers seat.

I noticed my carpet was wet in the compartment behind the drivers seat. I dried it up and went to the lake today. When I got it loaded on trailer, I checked compartment and it was wet again. There is what looks like a black bushing in the bottom corner. I stick my finger in and feels like it has a back on it. It appears water may be coming from this area.

Anybody have any idea where water may be coming from?
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

2. Member
    That black bushing should be a drain, also those back compartments are not dry boxes water will drain into them if it rains or if the bilge area has a high level. if you stick your finger in the bottom corner of those boxes you will notice the carpet hides a nice corner gap the water has to drain somehow to get to the bilge area in a heavy rain. The only dry box in my boat Is under the drivers seats. doesn't bother me much I only use those back boxes for my anchor or a soft ice chest. I always put a small wooden wedge on the corners of my compartments I before cover my boat so they dry up. I can see how this can be a head ace for some in my case I only use my boat 8 to 10 times a year and I knew that going in to it so I am good with it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDRINE View Post
    That black bushing should be a drain, also those back compartments are not dry boxes water will drain into them if it rains or if the bilge area has a high level. if you stick your finger in the bottom corner of those boxes you will notice the carpet hides a nice corner gap the water has to drain somehow to get to the bilge area in a heavy rain. The only dry box in my boat Is under the drivers seats. doesn't bother me much I only use those back boxes for my anchor or a soft ice chest. I always put a small wooden wedge on the corners of my compartments I before cover my boat so they dry up. I can see how this can be a head ace for some in my case I only use my boat 8 to 10 times a year and I knew that going in to it so I am good with it.
    The only problem is I have not fished in the rain nor does it stay outside. The bilge water has never gotten that high before. I am stumped.

4. Banned
    Back wash in the splashwell going down the bilge outlet.Plug not sealing?

5. Member
    I also have the same problem with mine. I can not figure it out either. I have not fished in the rain with it and only get very little water if any from splash well, yet the very back of both those boxes are damp after every trip. I also have started to notice the rear of my front center storage stays damp also. makes no sense to me. If you figure it out please let me know.
    2018 Triton 20TRX/ 250 Mercury Pro XS optimax

6. Member
    live well full spilling over?

7. Member
    Vidrine's guess was what I was thinking too ...... but only b/c I've overfilled my livewell before and some of the excess ended up spilling over into the bilge. But then again, y'all's newer boats have a different back side compartment than mine too (mine are plastic tubs with the drain at the bottom corner).

Could overflow water be running an aluminum support bar somehow ......... kinda like chasing a leaking roof (you found the drip, but it's running a rafter 4' away) if you know what I mean.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

8. Member
    I didn't think about the live well...ill have to study on that next
    2018 Triton 20TRX/ 250 Mercury Pro XS optimax

9. Member
    Same problem with my x18. You cannot come of plane from 50 -0. What’s happening is water is getting from coming off plane. If got mine pretty leak proof now. But this is a headace of this boat. It has made me want to go get a ranger tin.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I keep the drain plug in my live well and very rarely ever fill up live wells. The wells have a overfill drain at the top, so I would think that would prevent any spill over. I always slow down coming off plane and get very little water in splash well. Most of water coming into splash well is from running in reverse.

I checked around battery compartment next to box getting wet and it was dry. Cant figure it out. Very weird.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I keep the drain plug in my live well and very rarely ever fill up live wells. The wells have a overfill drain at the top, so I would think that would prevent any spill over.
    One would think that, but I know if you leave my pump on continuously IT WILL fill the livewell faster than the overflow can keep up.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    One would think that, but I know if you leave my pump on continuously IT WILL fill the livewell faster than the overflow can keep up.
    x2

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    X3 and both the x21 and the x19 do this. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.