Xpress corrosion

Went to hook the boat up and noticed my zinc was pitted pretty bad. Started looking around and found the swimladder had paint bubling and white powder all around it. Unbolted it and found this
    It had a bunch of water come out. Apparently xpress doesn't seal the screws...
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Mine does not have a ladder. Not sure whats going on with it.. Someone will chime in and know more than me.But I see your close good luck
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Electrolysis.

Is the boat ever docked at a marina or charged in the water?

Describe how the batteries are connected and what kind of chargers you have.

Do you have a jump starter system?

Any wiring installed to reduce interference in electronics?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Electrolysis.

Is the boat ever docked at a marina or charged in the water?

Describe how the batteries are connected and what kind of chargers you have.

Do you have a jump starter system?

Any wiring installed to reduce interference in electronics?
    Had it docked in a marina for 2 or 3 nights in may. Had it on a lift completely out of the water for 2 weeks in July.

And my batteries are the standard setup. The only thing I've done is add led lights to the inside rails. They are wired in to a fuse panel, that connects to the starter battery. Also have a wire that goes from the starting battery to the console for an led bar.
    That's the only thing I've done as far as wiring goes.

I also installed 2 flush mount stainless rod holder bases. They were installed with a good amount of 3m 4200 between the base and aluminum deck.

The corrosion on the bottom of the lader is the only area I've seen it corrode this bad. No where else really got my attention but I'll check it out better tomorrow.

I kind of wonder if salt water could of got trapped in there and started the reaction?
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Stainless touching aluminum can cause problems, especially if there is salt water involved.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Stainless touching aluminum can cause problems, especially if there is salt water involved.
    I'm going to try to clean it up later and see if it comes back. It had water pour out of what I thought was the transom, but the more i think of it, it might in been in the ladder tube. I'm going to stick some fishing wire in the screw holes later and see if they are wet when I pull them out.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Went to hook the boat up and noticed my zinc was pitted pretty bad. Started looking around and found the swimladder had paint bubling and white powder all around it. Unbolted it and found this
    It had a bunch of water come out. Apparently xpress doesn't seal the screws...

If you have a minnkota battery charger, or other brands as well, make sure it is not grounded to the hull or it will cause electrolysis. You can check with a meter. Mine was factory installed and it causing it on my boat. Mounted it to a Polly board, and board to boat....problem solved.

9. Banned
    Hey Tex its been a while. Hows the new pup working out.? You have a way of finding the cutest dogs around.

10. Member
    ALL GROUNDS should be connected straight to battery. NEVER to a hull especially aluminum. This will cause that prob every time

something you may not have thought of ...if you motor is having a stator problem it will cause
    Electrolysis
    ... it happened to me. I had notice a few places as you but my boat is fiberglass. 1st notice a sudden increase of caulk on the anode blocks on engine, then noticed some on trolling motor foot .went thru the hide and seek check all battery grounds ect the caulk keep popping up in places then lost the trolling motor when dissembled it motor the bearings and inners were pitted up bad, weeks later noticed tach stopped working and when I stopped there was smoke (elect fire) coming out of engine cowling ....stator shorted out ... so if you notice starter battery going low charge or tack reading funny stop and have a tech check it out

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!