Finesse bait caster

I am a walleye fisherman and use mostly spinning combos. I cast #5 Shad rap (3/16oz) a lot on 20lb suffix 832. I use a 7’ ml. Use there a baitcaster setup that could cast as far as the spinning? I don’t mind spending some $$ if I could match performance. I almost always cast down wind with the program I run. The braid is due to pounding rocky bottom with zebra mussels. Thanks for your time!

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    There are lots of combos out there that will do what you want. What does "$$" mean to you?
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    There are lots of combos out there that will do what you want. What does "$$" mean to you?
    $600 for the combo would be max I would want to spend

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Here's a link to a recent discussion about the reel part of the combo - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=867430

Myself I use a GLX 852c with a Zillion SV TW or Steez SV TW for casting light stuff (the Steez might bust your $600 budget but it's a sublime reel). I once used a Curado 70 but even though I sold it because it didn't feel right in my hands, it was good at casting what you want to cast. One rod I would like to try someday for casting light stuff is the Megabass F3 Hein. I think Tackle Trap has one in stock.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 01-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Spinning combos only for light stuff. Why fight it? I hate picking out over runs. I see no advantages to casting gear.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

6. Member
    Well that’s my question before spending a bunch of $$. I if it’s more trouble than it’s worth I will stick to spinning

7. Member
    Looking at a Steez SV TWS or a Aldebaran BFS for the reel. Any advice between those?

8. Member
    The Aldebaran BFS is an awesome reel for finesse fishing. However, it does not hold a lot of line at all. I mean, very little. I do like them though, they are incredible reels. The Aldebaran 50 is another great reel too for finesse fishing. I have several of those too and they're flawless.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    Looking at a Steez SV TWS or a Aldebaran BFS for the reel. Any advice between those?
    Both reels are awesome and it'll come down to which brand you prefer and/or which one feels best in your hand.

10. Member
    I was able to get the Adebaran for $300 so I bought one. I have a 7’ compre ml I will try it on. Thanks all!

11. Member
    I have ONE caster rod that is for the light cranks down to 1/4oz. stick with spinning its less hassle.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

12. Member
    Tacklewarehouse has a 'close out sale' on the Steez SV103 right now for $349
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    I was able to get the Adebaran for $300 so I bought one. I have a 7’ compre ml I will try it on. Thanks all!
    Be sure to let us know how you make out.

Why use bc gear when spinning works so well? My spinning outfits always handles lighter lures much better.

15. Member
    I grew up with spinning only. Once I tried a baitcaster, I was hooked. I try to use my baitcasting setups as much as possible. Usually the wind is the only thing I won’t fight, and then use my spinning. It is significantly more enjoyable to me to use baitcasters.

I use light baits, so I run a Aldebaran bfs xg on light and medium light rods. I use 10 pound braid, and get to the arbor knot easily with 3/16 baits. I do not need to cast that far when fishing, so it’s not a problem for me. I can cast 1/16 baits if I wanted. Usually never fish that low, as crappie are about all I fish at that weight, and then I mostly use my ultralight spinning.

I practice a lot and have my reel dialed in to which baits I throw. So I don’t get professional over runs with it.

Now on that you have a good reel, you really need a rod that is designed for the weights you want to throw.

Oh, one thing with the balsa Shad raps, they are light for their size (surface area), so they catch a lot of air as they fly. You have to play with your brakes to get dialed in when casting those, or they will overrun.

16. Member
    Might try this one St Croix MIC76MLM it's a Mojo saltwater rod 7'6" ML Moderate action, should work well with braid. I use it for 3/32 ounce plastics and 6 lb test.

17. Member
    Shimano core on a 7 foot medium cumara rod.sweet combo
    ON'EM!!