Gelcoat scratch Cougar FTD

Would appreciate any advice on buffing this scratch. I realize this could possibly be more appropriate on a general maintenance forum. But it's on a BassCat and I've heard different brands use different gelcoat formulations. It goes through 3 different colors and I would like to minimize it as much as possible. Any suggestions? I hope the pic is posted with this message. I think I attached it correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You may not like this but here is my suggestion. It doesn't look like those are deep gouges so my suggestion is going to be a mask instead of a full repair. Go to a office supply store or your local arts/crafts store and get some metallic permanent markers in the closest color you can find to your metal flake. You won't find an exact match but you will find one close. Then fill in the scratch with the marker that best matches that section, let it dry, do it again, let it dry, do it again and then put a good coat of wax over it. It'll be barely noticeable. You'll have to touch it up periodically as the color washes off. I know this isn't the "fix" you were looking for but it works for masking the scratch if that is an option for you. I always keep a silver, red, black metallic marker handy because those colors always match what I have pretty closely for light touch ups.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Rubbing compound & Sharpie permanent marker. Save the money on a repair and spend it on a fishing trip. It's a boat and while I don't abuse mine by any means they're gonna get scratches and bumps from time to time.

4. Member
    Can’t tell in that pic how deep those are. Are those small gouges or are those on the surface and just appear to be deep? If those are just surface rubs they’ll buff right out with buffing compound. Might require minimal sanding 1st. Now if they are small gouges, that’s totally different.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Can’t tell in that pic how deep those are. Are those small gouges or are those on the surface and just appear to be deep? If those are just surface rubs they’ll buff right out with buffing compound. Might require minimal sanding 1st. Now if they are small gouges, that’s totally different.
    Second what "ch" said, Basscat clear is nice and thick. I had a horrible looking scratch on the side of my PUMA and with light sanding and polishing, you can't see or feel it. I bet ii will "buff out"

6. Member
    Nice to know BassCat clear coat is thick. I don't know how to tell if it's a scratch or small gouge. I know that when I first got the boat I put a quick coat of wax on it before getting in garage for winter. I stood there there with a rubbing compound ( Starbright "medium" Rubbing Compound) and took a Terry cloth and rubbed on it lightly in a circular motion for a few minutes and saw no progress. I've heard that if you get too carried away with the compound that you can rub through surrounding clear coat to expose previously non-damaged areas. I'm lost when you say sanding. Can I have more detail on this? If you got a horrible looking scratch out of the Puma that may work for me too.

7. Member
    Ok dumb question. How can I tell if they are surface rubs or true gouges? If I run my fingernail over it it dips a little. The scratch has a whitish chalky look to it.

8. Member
    Take wet and dry sandpaper, 1000, 1500, 2000 and sand carefully with water on the paper. You'll get a white milkish residue which is the clear being sanded off. work through the grits as you sand. Take care and don't sand too deep. This will leave a dull finish that should be free of the "scratches" you started with. Then some fine rubbing compound and follow with polish to set ire the shine. Takes some elbow grease.

Those are more than surface and will require filling.

10. Member
    Ok thank you BCB. And thank you dabro I can use that info on some less severe scratches I have.

On the bright side, at least you scratched all three colors.

12. Member
    Thanks C130 It was a scratch I inherited when buying the boat. I'm sure I'll make it look better.