New clam thermal rocks!

So I finally broke down this year and upgraded from the old shappell 3000 box style shack and bought a 4-6 guy clam thermal. All I can say is wow what an upgrade in comfort. Tough first day to set it up at 3 degrees with 30 mph winds but once it was set up and got the heater running on low within 10 minutes that baby was toasty warm and I had hat, gloves and jacket off and was jigging away. There is no way I would have made it in the old shack without practically freezing to death. Now I must ask my dumb self why I did not buy one earlier...

2. Member
    I'm not sure why they even bother making non insulated portables anymore. My first was a Clam Nanook, now I have an Otter Cabin 1200. Not a chance in hell i'd ever buy another uninsulated house. The noise factor alone makes a big difference.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I'm not sure why they even bother making non insulated portables anymore. My first was a Clam Nanook, now I have an Otter Cabin 1200. Not a chance in hell i'd ever buy another uninsulated house. The noise factor alone makes a big difference.
    I have an Otter Cabin pro 1200 also...Love that thing other than the weight....It's definetly a setup to tow behind a Snowmobile or a quad..I had it out on LSC Tuesday with 25-30 mph winds and a windchill around -20..it kept us comfortable with a buddy heater..
    I have the Otter Hideout and A insulated clam one man..and a Clam hub Thermal.....Love the Ther mals and like you said don't know why they make them without insulation.....other than weight maybe..

4. Member
    I have a clam Nanook I wish it was thermal but I can't justify a new one I don't ice fish enough.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I have a clam Nanook I wish it was thermal but I can't justify a new one I don't ice fish enough.
    I have a nanook. Would not trade it for anything. IT is light and the right size for a one man house.

I have a trap 2 which is nearly identical to your nanook. Go grab a 25' roll of Reflectix and install it for insulation. I installed it over my poles from my front bottom pole over the top all the way to the back of the tub. I cut slits at the velcro so it moves with the canvas as if it were manufactured that way. At the back I tucked it into the trim so it is permanent.

Great and Light weight insulator.

My Striker Climate suit is so good that I get by just fine with the Nanook. It is light weight, especially since I only have one seat in it. I think the thing I've noticed about the thermals, since my buddy has one, is that when it is super cold out and you have the heater on high, the thermal fabric wicks up the moisture and it doesn't "rain" inside. In my Nanook the water starts to collect on the black rubber and actually drips from the roof.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    My Striker Climate suit is so good that I get by just fine with the Nanook. It is light weight, especially since I only have one seat in it. I think the thing I've noticed about the thermals, since my buddy has one, is that when it is super cold out and you have the heater on high, the thermal fabric wicks up the moisture and it doesn't "rain" inside. In my Nanook the water starts to collect on the black rubber and actually drips from the roof.
    In a thermal nanook? I get no drips with the reflectix and literally no wieght gain in the house. I think a 25 foot roll weighs less than a lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    In a thermal nanook? I get no drips with the reflectix and literally no wieght gain in the house. I think a 25 foot roll weighs less than a lb.
    No, in my non-thermal it drips. In my buddies thermal it wicks.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    No, in my non-thermal it drips. In my buddies thermal it wicks.
    Get some reflectix. Install it side to side and front to back. I get some frost on the sides but never a drip. It is also way warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Get some reflectix. Install it side to side and front to back. I get some frost on the sides but never a drip. It is also way warmer.
    I just never use my Nanook anymore because my Striker suit is like a shack on my back. But if I ever do, I'll get some of that reflectix and give it a try.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat