Unhappy I think I blew it - the motor

Welll I’ve had the boat for a little over 5 years now, but I think it is teminal.

I was out couple of weeks ago and on the way in I ran over something. We were idling and the motor went over some wood object in the water. When I took off again, shortly after the alarm went off. It seems I clogged the water intakes.

so this morning we took the boat out to see if all was good after cleaning the intakes and flushing the motor.

We went maybe a minute out, and I let out the throttle - freeze. The motor is now siezed. The lower seems free, but the starter cannot turnover the motor.

Not sure what I am going to do. Let go of the boat / repair the motor / replace.
    currently boatless

2. Member
    Drop lower unit before you decide unless you already have. Prop spin in neutral don't mean driveshaft bearing not seized.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I will try that.
    currently boatless

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    Drop lower unit before you decide unless you already have. Prop spin in neutral don't mean driveshaft bearing not seized.
    So I pulled the plugs and didn’t see anything tragic. Then I dropped the lower unit. The motor turned over freely. I did a cold compression check. All six cylinders had even pressure. So I think it may be just the lower unit that is down.

i will check around to get a quick estimate to rebuild.
    currently boatless

5. Member
    Good