Echo map vs GPSMap user opinions

Looking at Garmin for my new boat and looking for information regarding the echo map units vs the GPS map units.
    I read the echo map will draw contour maps you can save will the gpsmap do the same thing? Tell me your thoughts on both units These are new to me always used lowrance. Thanks

2. Member
    My take on the Garmin offerings are that they are offered at three levels. Striker is entry level, echomap is mid-level and GPSMAP is top-level. One primary distinguishing characteristic separating the top-level from mid-level is the sharing options. Map, waypoint, sonar, Panoptix, no worry sharing is only available at the top-level. The other levels may do some limited, very specific sharing, meaning you really got to do your homework for checking out what specifically you want to share or find yourself disappointed. If you are looking at purchasing a single standalone unit it's hard to justify the extra cost of a GPSMAP unit over the echomap Plus unit. There are three levels of the echomap based on generation of introduction. The "G" notation is my own reference, not theirs.
    G1 echomap 2d, side, down. No 2d Chirp. No Panoptix.
    G2 echomap CHIRP . Adds chirp and Panoptix PS21,PS31, PS30 compatibility. V4.2 added PS22
    G3 echomap Plus. Adds Panoptix PS22 compatibility, now touch screen

As far as the GPSMAP units go, you also have the PS22 compatibility issue on some of the older units.

Note: I have corrected the above post to include PS22 compatibility on the echomap CHIRP with v4.2
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-21-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Banned
    Well that cleared things up for me. I was thinking about the 22 but I have a Echomap Chirp. Thanks you saved me some money. I Think

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! Will the GPS map draw the contour lines that can be saved as a custom map like the echo units?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassPilot View Post
    Thanks for the info! Will the GPS map draw the contour lines that can be saved as a custom map like the echo units?
    Yes
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Go to You Tube, put in the Garmin you own and you will see many good ones that will help you in several areas.