1. Banned
    Yes you can have too much... May cause slow hole shot, prop blowout, over revving, slower top end, over trimming... Check with Evinrude because the sandwich bracket for the Talon's may void you warranty... They don't want anything between the engine and jackplate or the jackplate and transom... Dan

2. Testing
  3. Member
    Well that would explain why I can't find 1 single picture of talons sandwiched mounted with an Evinrude G2.
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

4. Member
    Most 198's and 202's have 8 or 10 inch jackplates . Yes you can have too much set back!

5. Pat Goff
    Too much? Yes.
    As your hull moves through the water it creates a calm swell behind it. You want to be just ahead or right at the apex of that swell. Never behind it, I’ve driven a few with too much and they were just weird to drive, handling was always bad, tendency to bow hook and not wanting to hold a line in a turn.
    Holeshot was excessive bow lift and then cavitate.
    And on top end just a lack of lift and constant trim adjustments looking to keep it up and running.

I remember a 203 with a 15” plate the guy had on an Allison that handled exactly like that.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Too much set back? Is that a thing?

Is there such a thing as too much set back? What are the symptoms if so? I’m a couple months away from pulling the trigger on a new Evinrude G2 for my Stratos 202. They come with a built 6” set back so I’m going to have to make some changes from my current Bob’s 10”. I’m thinking Bob’s 6” but I have Talon sandwich brackets which adds another inch so that would 13”s of set back. Too much?
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I hope that the sandwich brackets don't void your warranty.....

I don't see how it would void the warranty.

The "Installation and Predelivery Guide" does not specifically prohibit installing something between the motor and the jp or the jp and the transom.

It does require that "the jackplate must provide a rigid, one-piece mounting assembly - either a solid surface or surfaces adequately connected to prevent flexing or twisting." It also states, "damage caused by use of a two-piece jackplate or unstable mounting surface will not be covered by warranty."

I would think that a Talon sandwich bracket mounted between the jp and the transom (as required by an installation with an Atlas, for example) would allow mounting the G2 to the solid mounting surface of the plate, thereby not risking damage to stern bracket of the G2.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Good deal...was just going by what Dan said in the first posts.