Depthfinders with least reported interference issues

I have the bluetooth version Terrova 54lb and getting all kinds of interference/noise on the Garmin 73dv(gt22 ducer). Tried all the remedies. I'm looking to purchase new unit and move the 73dv to the console. Can anyone suggest any Garmin models that seem to have the least amount of reported interference issues? I know its impossible to know for sure as it seems to be random across all the models/brands, but atleast would give me a good starting place when purchasing a new unit. Is there anyone with a electric steer motor and a Garmin unit not having any interference issues? How about any of the Lowrance or Humminbird models? Looking to keep it under $1000.
    Thanks!
    Matt
    Last edited by mdavis166; 01-05-2018 at 11:07 PM.

2. Member
    Just because someone has a model that works on another boat without interference doesn't assure you won't have an issue on your boat. RFI can be different from boat to boat and hard to guarantee no problems. Have you tried posting on the Garmin forum to see if anyone can help?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Ground wire to the trolling motor skeg eliminated 90% of mine.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Ground wire to the trolling motor skeg eliminated 90% of mine.
    How you do that?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    How you do that?
    Read through this. It will explaine it for several situations

https://www.humminbird.com/faqDetail.aspx?id=3660

6. Member
    Fixed my interference problem too. Funny thing was....I had no problem with a Gen 3 9" running off the front but when I switched to a Gen2 12" I had interference....ground wire fixed it. Running a XI5 with a HDI transducer mounted underneath.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Read through this. It will explaine it for several situations

Interesting, I run my helix off the US2 so I don't need to ground to TM lower unit but I will try the neg crank to neg TM battery to see if that helps. It's not much interference since I upgraded to a newer unit but there is some. I'm having an issue with my helix freezing when I crank over the big motor. I need to fix this.

Run a wire from the ground wire on your TM to the Ground/black wire on the Depth finder. Works most of the time.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Interesting, I run my helix off the US2 so I don't need to ground to TM lower unit but I will try the neg crank to neg TM battery to see if that helps. It's not much interference since I upgraded to a newer unit but there is some. I'm having an issue with my helix freezing when I crank over the big motor. I need to fix this.
    That means either your battery is too small/weak to handle the engine starter and the Helix, or you have so much resistance in the power connection that it is barely hanging on without the starter operating.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Run a wire from the ground wire on your TM to the Ground/black wire on the Depth finder. Works most of the time.
    Normally grounds don't require overcurrent protetion ... but can need to include a small amp fuse in above suggestion to prevent this being a dangerous potential fire hazard.

Won't eliminate interference but the Faraday effect on floating MK motors may reduce RFI to less objectionable level.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-12-2018 at 10:14 PM.

11. Banned
    just remember, what works for some might not work for you and it could actually make it worse

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That means either your battery is too small/weak to handle the engine starter and the Helix, or you have so much resistance in the power connection that it is barely hanging on without the starter operating.
    Where is the resistance coming from?

Where is the resistance coming from?
    Wire size to small, poor splices, switch contacts, corrosion on the battery terminals, battery terminals not tight, other loads on the same circuit from the battery, etc.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Wire size to small, poor splices, switch contacts, corrosion on the battery terminals, battery terminals not tight, other loads on the same circuit from the battery, etc.
    Ok that makes sense. I have it hooked up the a power block the factory installed. I will have a look this winter/ spring. May have t run wire direct to battery. My batteries are all new and I care for them often.