Thread: Life vest

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. mikesxpress
    A proper fitting jacket that meets the USCG standards is all that's necessary. I used to run the vests with the crotch straps back in the early 90's and most of the time never fastened them. You just don't see many with the crotch straps anymore.

2. Member
    Has anyone added any of the online available straps to the Mustang?

The description I see for them does not inspire confidence.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSYoung2277 View Post
    Reading this thread has changed my perspective on this subject. I wear an inflatable while running and admit that I often wondered how it wouldn't slide up and leave my head under the water. That being said, I am done with it. I like the Mustang Accel because it is a Mustang and the bright color, but I like the crotch strap on the bps a lot. I wish the Mustang had the crotch straps...
    Mustang now has a leg strap accessory that will fit most PFD life jackets
    http://www.mustangsurvival.com/dw/im...&sh=300&sm=fit

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

4. Member
    Make sure and get it a size larger than you would normally wear. winter weather.

5. Member
    Awesome, thanks Ed!

6. Member
    Anyone have experience with Kent Search And Rescue?
    https://www.kentsafetyproducts.com/p...-jackets?pp=24

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Kent is the parent company of Onyx. Good products.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by my47ply View Post
    I have noticed a lot of the guys are going away from the inflatables. Which would be the best noninflatable
    Why?

It might seem like overkill but I;m really debating getting this set up for the upcoming season. I had no idea this device was even available. You hope you never have to use it, but a few hundred dollars seems like a small price considering the thousands we spend on other non-life saving equipment
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    MV5600
    High visibility
    100 mph jacket w/ACR & led sky light.

10. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    It might seem like overkill but I;m really debating getting this set up for the upcoming season. I had no idea this device was even available. You hope you never have to use it, but a few hundred dollars seems like a small price considering the thousands we spend on other non-life saving equipment
    I can promise you that it isn't overkill if you are ever tossed in.........................and I know what I speak of..................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

11. Banned
    With all the questions surrounding the reliability of inflatable vests, I'm going back to wearing the full PFD when the big motor is running, and will wear the inflatable on the bow if the water is rough (I have really poor balance).

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    With all the questions surrounding the reliability of inflatable vests, I'm going back to wearing the full PFD when the big motor is running, and will wear the inflatable on the bow if the water is rough (I have really poor balance).
    There may be questions, but the Internet is a huge megaphone for repeating rumors. No doubt, there are cases (at least one mentioned in this thread) where a piece of quality equipment in otherwise good condition fails. On the other hand, there are a whole lot of instances where someone heard that his mechanic's buddy's brother had one of "those inflatables" fail without any analysis of it's initial brand/quality, maintenance or condition. The story is repeated endlessly without verification.

13. Banned
    True, but I'm going back anyway.
    I think the biggest reason people went to wearing an inflatable is because they wouldn't wear anything otherwise.

14. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MN1965 View Post
    There may be questions, but the Internet is a huge megaphone for repeating rumors. No doubt, there are cases (at least one mentioned in this thread) where a piece of quality equipment in otherwise good condition fails. On the other hand, there are a whole lot of instances where someone heard that his mechanic's buddy's brother had one of "those inflatables" fail without any analysis of it's initial brand/quality, maintenance or condition. The story is repeated endlessly without verification.
    Valid points to any conversation can be made. I will say this though. I was in a bad accident a year and a half ago and was wearing a top of the line auto inflate. I hit a rogue barge wake and was ejected from the boat. Two broken ribs, three crushed vertebrae in my back, severe laceration to my left ear and right ring finger broken. Impact knocked me out and was pulled from water (I was under water out cold) by a fisherman that saw accident and came to my rescue as soon as it happened...................The auto did not inflate and was new with correct arming device in it. If the fellow fisherman had not been there and saw accident, there is no doubt that I would have drowned simply because of the jacket not going off and floating me in a upright (head up) position. Also, I sincerely believe that my substantial injuries wouldn't have been as bad if I would have been wearing a full size, full protection jacket like the one that Mike posted pictures of; I purchased one like Mike has posted after the accident, and will never again wear anything else when boating. I also will say this; Accidents can and do happen in the blink of an eye and we never expect or want them to happen.........................but they do. In my case the accident nearly killed me, and would've if the caretaker hadn't seen me.......................with the inflatable that didn't go off it may have been a while before they found me if I had drowned.....................With a vest like in Mike's posts, I may have perished on impact, but the authorities would have at least found me floating on top of the water with head up............................JMHO................ ..........RR

15. mikesxpress
    Thanks for posting your accident info Roger. Folks need to hear these type explanations from those that have experienced it 1st hand. Once should be enough to convince someone these inflatables are a gamble at best.

Allot of folks just jumped on the inflatable band wagon when they were approved and then sold for use. I have seen two different passengers ejected from a bass boat in front of me, at speed, with full impact jacket, in the late 80's when we had "real" in-line blast offs for our tournaments (fun/exciting but stupid). I can say they skip like a flat rock for 50+ yards at 65 mph before tumbling to a stopping. I pulled both of these guys out and they were face up and unconscious. One woke up on his own when I pulled him in, the other needed CPR and came back on-line in 4 minutes.

That life jacket is your last line of self preservation if/when something goes wrong.

16. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

That life jacket is your last line of self preservation if/when something goes wrong.
    No truer words can be spoken than your last sentence..........................so many people never give it a second thought. RR

17. Member
    I'm all for getting the best life jacket out there. If it is your last line of defense then your first line should be common sense. You can have the best available but if you are not using common sense you can still be dead. What is the common denominator in ejections? Put it all together and go home at the end of the day. SLOW DOWN, be aware, and wear the best life jacket you can get, it really is that simple. Humans this day and age seem to think when wearing safety equipment then they are exempt from harm.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    What is the common denominator in ejections? Put it all together and go home at the end of the day. SLOW DOWN, be aware, and wear the best life jacket you can get, it really is that simple. Humans this day and age seem to think when wearing safety equipment then they are exempt from harm.
    Of course that's the real answer. We're not talking about guys falling overboard landing a fish, but high speed events.

Imagine a similar discussion relating to cars. A bunch of drivers decide that driving on really curvy dirt roads at 55 mph would save them a few minutes getting to their hunting spot. Unfortunately, some of them miss curves and smack into trees. Instead of recommending a reduction in speed, the hunting boards light up with recommendations to install 5-point harnesses and roll cages.

19. mikesxpress
    Back to the original start of this thread:

Life vest
    I have noticed a lot of the guys are going away from the inflatables. Which would be the best noninflatable?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345