Carpet trim installation

I'm redoing the carpet on a Triton Explorer and also bought the 3M Carpet trim from Bass boat Seats and it seems not quite as intuitive to install as it should be.

- Does this particular trim mount to the inside gunnel just barley above the carpet? If so, is the carpet placed directly against the side gunnel during the install or do you leave a little gap? I'm also installing padding.

- How do you install rivets to secure the corners?

Thanks.

To be completely honest, you shouldn’t have to remove your original trim. Just scrape it clean u derneath what’s already there and install new. I never remove the trim unless it’s peeling off and trashed, which is rare. If you haven’t yet removed the original trim I highly urge you to leave it be and return what you bought for a refund. And, if you clean to clean it up, a simple wipe down with acetone will bring it to like new. I do this on every job where the trim is intact.

3. Member
    There was no trim there. I thought it looks nice and want to add it.

IMO...that would be way more trouble than it’s worth.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    This looks like the stick-on trim I purchased from Basscat. I allowed to rest on top of carpet and stuck on. You may need to use small (#6 or 8) screws on inside and outside bends to hold in place.

Now I have to ask, In my ChampioN there is a trim strip covering the edge of the carpet after it turns up from the floor onto the gunnel. Has anyone replaced this when replacing carpet or is that what your referring to in a comment above??? No one around here does carpet so I may give it a try this spring but I'm sure my OCD will kick in if it's not perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by Triton owner 123 View Post
    There was no trim there. I thought it looks nice and want to add it.
    Gotcha

8. Member
    I Believe the carpet trim is designed to stick to the deck and overlap the carpet. On my 2003 Ranger, the deck is designed with a slight raised area against the rail, which. about 1/2" wide, where the carpet trim is applied. The rise is equal to the thickness of carpet. Without this raised area, trimming the carpet back enough and applying the trim is going to be tougher. The padding would have to be cut back as well.
    2003 Ranger 205 VX
    2007 Mercury Optimax

9. Member
    Thank you.