Best prop for 2017 Mercury 150FS outboard on Phoenix 618

I need help with figuring out what prop to put on my 2017 Phoenix 618 with Mercury 150FS. It came with a Fury3 from the factory, but I recently bent one of the blades and want to replace it. I want to get the max top speed and i don't know what the right pitch should be. The 150 four stroke also has a little problem getting the boat up on plane with 3 anglers and full live wells. So if there is better prop that can give me more starting torque that would help too. I have been looking at the Fury4 - but everything i have read says it is for 200HP engines or bigger. Does anyone know if a Fury4 will run on a 150FS?
    Last edited by subgriffith; 01-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.

2. Member
    the rev4 will get you out of the hole and run fairly fast. my ranger z118c 150/fs came with that prop in a 21. i also use a bravo fs in a 23 and it also works fine. i don't have poles and only two anglers. best top speed and
    best hole shot with your combo might be difficult. a 23 tempest plus if fine by myself but struggles when loaded. both props are about 2 mph slower than a tempest plus but hold a load much better with less decrease in top speed when loaded. a rev4 is stiff for its pitch and i can turn the 23 bravo fs faster than the 21 rev 4. remember, that engine has a 1.92 gear and not the 1.86 that the optimax has.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. How do you know what is the right pitch? I think for my purpose since I tournament fish a lot with 2 or 3 passengers, the starting torque is more important than the top end. I don't have power poles either and that 4 stroke with the Fury3 just doesn't get me up as fast as I would like.

4. Member
    What pitch prop came on the boat and what were the take off and WOT rpm's and speed loaded with two in the boat ready to fish. You probably need a Bravo FS but the pitch depends on how many rpm's you can turn the Fury. If it has a 24 Fury that's too much prop for the 150 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    What pitch prop came on the boat and what were the take off and WOT rpm's and speed loaded with two in the boat ready to fish. You probably need a Bravo FS but the pitch depends on how many rpm's you can turn the Fury. If it has a 24 Fury that's too much prop for the 150 4S.
    I agree 100%

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I'm out of town this weekend, but let me get home and look and see which Fury came on it. I custom ordered it brand new from Phoenix, but I didn't specify a prop so whatever they put on it standard is probably what is on it. It's probably a 24, but not sure till I can look.

7. Member
    Whats the top speed and rpm's now loaded. It's either got a 24" or a 25" if it's a Fury.

8. Member
    I don't remember the rpm, but I could run about 60 with two Anglers and loaded with tackle and full tank of gas. When I put three in the boat and live wells are full I could only run about 58, but it almost won't get on plane. It takes prob takes 6 or more secs. That's why I was looking for something with better hole shot torque.

9. Member
    By myself empty boat, and 1/2 tank gas I could hit 63 consistently. But I hit something that bent one of the blades on the prop, and can only get about 55 - thus the reason for me looking to replace the prop.

10. Member
    I was correct, my Phoenix 618 w/ Mercury 150FS came with a Fury 24. I think I will try the Bravo FS 23.

11. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    What RPM's were you running with the 24 Fury before you bent a blade? If you were running at 9% slip at 63 mph then you should have been turning approx. 5850 rpms...which is close to max for that motor. I would think you'll be all over the rev limiter with a 23 Bravo. It will definitely get you out of the hole better when you're loaded.

And, 63mph GPS in the setup is really good. I think I'd try to find another 24 Fury.
    I can tell you (from experience), if you load 3 grown men in ANY 18 ft boat with a 150 hp motor and then fill the livewells....none of them are getting on plane very well. Maybe have one of them lay up on the front deck until you make it out of the hole.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

12. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I have done some more consideration and think I will try and just go down one pitch size to 23 and stay with a 3 bladed prop. I wish Fury made a 23P.

13. Member
    Have the 24" fury fixed and pitched down to a 23"