Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgstroud1960 View Post
    I have the 920/Verado combo. pm me and I will be glad to give you my impressions.
    Mg,

I would love to hear your thoughts as well. Please post.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    In 2 more years maybe
    Next month at the Miami boat show I hear.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Next month at the Miami boat show I hear.
    That's was the story last year too and they dropped the 400r. Might see a 150 4 stroke

4. Scraps
    If I did mine again it would be a SHO. If I now compare the SHO warranty to what I will pay for the XS and the extended warranty the SHO is a great deal!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I've had all the motors (Verado, SHO, ProXS) and the most important thing to me in the end was having a local dealer with a good and certified mechanic. On the Verado, you can't even change the oil technically (its tricky) without being trained, and it requires a special, very expensive oil.

From a performance perspective, the SHO had the best holeshot and mid-range, no question. The Verado was a treat from a sound and electric shifting and gauges perspective. I bought the ProXS simply to try it. It already has a recall on it (2017) and its tougher to start in cold than the 4 strokes. Mercury 2 strokes are on the way out soon from what I hear as Mercury has a new 4 Stroke competitor to the SHO in testing per my dealer. The G2 is getting rave reviews from some of my fishing buddies, so if you have a local dealer, check that out too.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

between the two you listed i would buy the Verado hands down and that is coming from a ProXS owner ,

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    Mg,

I would love to hear your thoughts as well. Please post.
    I have a 2015 920/Verado combo. When I started having discussions with the dealer, he told me that the 2 stroke Mercury engines would be going away in the future and if I planned to keep the boat for awhile, I should consider the Verado. I called Phoenix and talked with Jeff and he highly recommended the Verado on the 920. Here's what I can tell you. It's super quite to the point that you can have a conversation in the boat running at high speeds. The power steering is amazing. You get the smart craft gauge package which is much better than the standard Phoenix gauges. I would recommend a hydraulic jackplate. Loaded with power poles, it runs low to mid seventies which is plenty fast for me. It does make the back of the boat sit down a little lower but not a big deal to me because the Phoenix boats sit a little low anyway. As far as service goes, I live in Maine where you have to travel 1-2 hours anyway to find a dealer. We have 3 Verado certified dealers up here so no big deal. The cost for winterization on the engine which includes engine oil and lower unit oil change runs about 350 dollars.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    That's was the story last year too and they dropped the 400r. Might see a 150 4 stroke
    They have a more current 150 now than they do 200-250.

9. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgstroud1960 View Post
    I have a 2015 920/Verado combo. When I started having discussions with the dealer, he told me that the 2 stroke Mercury engines would be going away in the future and if I planned to keep the boat for awhile, I should consider the Verado. I called Phoenix and talked with Jeff and he highly recommended the Verado on the 920. Here's what I can tell you. It's super quite to the point that you can have a conversation in the boat running at high speeds. The power steering is amazing. You get the smart craft gauge package which is much better than the standard Phoenix gauges. I would recommend a hydraulic jackplate. Loaded with power poles, it runs low to mid seventies which is plenty fast for me. It does make the back of the boat sit down a little lower but not a big deal to me because the Phoenix boats sit a little low anyway. As far as service goes, I live in Maine where you have to travel 1-2 hours anyway to find a dealer. We have 3 Verado certified dealers up here so no big deal. The cost for winterization on the engine which includes engine oil and lower unit oil change runs about 350 dollars.
    Good stuff! Thanks for posting
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

10. Member
    Mercury is release a new 4 stroke .....1 / 11 / 2018

11. Member
    Yamaha has a release the same day

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    They have a more current 150 now than they do 200-250.
    3l 150 pro xs 4stroke. 200-250 may or may not be ready this year

13. Member
    Going to be funny if everyone is set for announcements next week from Merc and Yamaha, and Yamaha's is a 90 SHO, and Merc's is another 150 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Wonder what that's about.

NEW SHO 1.8.18

15. Banned
    G2s are hard to beat for speed and fuel consumption....as for reliability Yamaha has replaced about every powerhead made from 2009 to 2012 sooo....that said Verados are pretty reliable.....

16. Member
    I'm going with a Verado on my 721
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric521 View Post
    I'm going with a Verado on my 721
    Good choice!

18. Member
    I think us pro xs guys will eventually make the move to verados. Very few guys that have them are disappointed.

Good luck

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I think us pro xs guys will eventually make the move to verados. Very few guys that have them are disappointed.

Good luck
    I agree. I don't think I've talked with one person that wanted to go back after they ran a four stroke.

I am leaning towards the verado

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12