Thread: 20 TRX setup

20 TRX setup

So 20 trx owners, what prop do you run and at what ptp to get your best speeds? I got mine last year and haven't played around with setup at all, have run 74.9 with 25 fury

2. Member
    74.9 with what kind of load in the boat?

3. Member
    Me (240#), my tackle ( 30-40#), and half tank of fuel

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve lacey View Post
    Me (240#), my tackle ( 30-40#), and half tank of fuel
    You better stick to the light beer and stay away from the Space Dust. I think we need to try one of my 26P Tempest on your rig and raise the motor a little. Have you measured your current P2P yet?

5. Member
    Stein, P2P is 3 1/2 inches, looks like my post count isn't high enough to get any input from the BBC braintrust, we need to hookup and try that tempest and maybe raise the motor some, see if we can get a little more out of it.

6. Member
    Stein, P2P is 3 1/2 inches, looks like my post count isn't high enough to get any input from the BBC braintrust, we need to hookup and try that tempest and maybe raise the motor some, see if we can get a little more out of it.
    I'm in, I'll bring the props and you can bring a six pack of Space Dust.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    A worked 26 tempest plus for me is the fastest prop I've ran on my 20 trx. I run mine approximately 2.5" prop to pad. The tempest on my boat carries a load better..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    A worked 26 tempest plus for me is the fastest prop I've ran on my 20 trx. I run mine approximately 2.5" prop to pad. The tempest on my boat carries a load better..
    Buck, what speeds are you getting with the tempest? , and what rpms are you turning?

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Buck, what speeds are you getting with the tempest? , and what rpms are you turning?
    With a load simular to yours by myself I'm consistently over 75 turning 5820 to 5880 rpm. Alone a 25 fury is usually with in 1 mph to 1.5mph of the tempest. Where the tempest really shines for me is when I add my partner and his gear. I don't seem to drop off on top end as much as I do with the furry. I have hit 78 twice by myself with very little fuel on a cool day. I haven't seen 78 since that day for whatever reason. Conditions must have been just right. Your numbers with the fury is really pretty good. May even try to raise it a little at a time and I bet you will get a little more out of it. They say the fury likes to run lower. The fury for me seemed to run best around 2.75" below pad. Maybe this will help.
    Last edited by Buck456; 01-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    With a load simular to yours by myself I'm consistently over 75 turning 5820 to 5880 rpm. Alone a 25 fury is usually with in 1 mph to 1.5mph of the tempest. Where the tempest really shines for me is when I add my partner and his gear. I don't seem to drop off on top end as much as I do with the furry. I have hit 78 twice by myself with very little fuel on a cool day. I haven't seen 78 since that day for whatever reason. Conditions must have been just right. Your numbers with the fury is really pretty good. May even try to raise it a little at a time and I bet you will get a little more out of it. They say the fury likes to run lower. The fury for me seemed to run best around 2.75" below pad. Maybe this will help.
    Good info thanks for the input, when we get a break in the weather up here I'm gonna raise the motor a bit and see what she'll do, will also try the tempest.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Good info thanks for the input, when we get a break in the weather up here I'm gonna raise the motor a bit and see what she'll do, will also try the tempest.
    I've never tried a 26 tempest out of the box. I've only tried a worked 26 tempest. I thought you may want to know that in case you try a 26 tempest and don't see the simular results. I traded my fury for a 25 tempest plus but it turns to many rpms. I'm going to send it and have it worked for a summer prop. Keep us posted on your results.
    Last edited by Buck456; 01-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.

12. Member
    Question for both of ya...Steve, i see u say ur at 3 1/2 P2P. That’s where I’m at with mine. At 70mph the chinewalk gets so bad it feels like a death wobble. You get the same thing? And Buck456, at 2.75 P2P did u notice it help with the chinewalk? I know my boat will reach 75mph cause I was in it when the dealer drove it to that. But he’s used to the input u have to make to accomplish this. Me...I ain’t had this boat long enough to learn it’s habits as my last boat of 10 years (20x2) didn’t chinewalk at all. I’m just wondering if raising the motor would calm it down a little as i go thru the learning curve of this totally different riding boat.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Even running at higher motor heights mine starts to walk a little around the 70 mark. To me it's not bad at all considering I learned on a tr19 with a 200. That boat walked bad and it took me months to finally figure it out. Once I did it was no big deal.. It just takes time. I think if you raise your motor height it will help with the chine walk but I don't know that you will ever fully get rid of it. Atleast I have not been able to. It just takes some time. The main thing is to get it up to the point it starts to walk and small left corrections to the steering wheel. Once it gets a little to much to handle back off the gas then try again. My first mistake when learning was over correcting left to fast and to much. It's hard to explain but to me it's more of a rhythm. Once get the feel for it you will correct before it actually starts. One other thing I would like to add with the tempest or the fury to get the best top speed is once I get it to the floor and trimmed all the way out is to bump the trim down just a little.. Usually about 3 quick bumps down to get the very last bit of speed. Doing this usually gives me an extra 1 to 1.5 mph. Again this is for my boat with my load. All boats and different loads maybe a little different.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Question for both of ya...Steve, i see u say ur at 3 1/2 P2P. That’s where I’m at with mine. At 70mph the chinewalk gets so bad it feels like a death wobble. You get the same thing? And Buck456, at 2.75 P2P did u notice it help with the chinewalk? I know my boat will reach 75mph cause I was in it when the dealer drove it to that. But he’s used to the input u have to make to accomplish this. Me...I ain’t had this boat long enough to learn it’s habits as my last boat of 10 years (20x2) didn’t chinewalk at all. I’m just wondering if raising the motor would calm it down a little as i go thru the learning curve of this totally different riding boat.

ch,, my boat did want to chine at top end when it was new to me and it took time behind the wheel to get comfortable driving it, now I can drive it with no chine at all at wot. That is why I am now looking to raise motor some and get a little more speed. Raising the motor won't make the chine go away, you just need to keep driving it and figure out the input needed to keep it going straight, the wheel movements are more subtle than you may think. Good luck

15. Member
    Thanks fellas. I’ll bet, after reading ur tips, I’ve been over correcting and probably pullin down too hard left on the wheel. Cause once I start trying the balancing act is when it really starts goin wild. I’m ready for spring to roll back around and get this air temp warmed back up. It’s been too cold here since the week before Christmas to wanna get out on the water, much less get out there and try running WOT.