Thread: lithium battery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    You guys that are using lithium with Minn Kota, have you had any issues. I read the other day that Minn Kota recommends not using lithium with their motors.
    I've used Relion Lithium for 3 years now using both Motorguide XI5 & Minnkota Ultera 36 volt models without any issues with the units.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

2. Member
    I have a 24 volt trolling motor and 2 100 ah relions and they last all day it's almost like a 36 volt they last so long.I did run into a problem with one recently but they are taking care of it.

3. Member
    I have 36 volt Lithium Pros battery with the Stealth Charger and a Minn Kota Ulterra and have had zero issues.

4. Member
    Did you guys install these batteries yourselves? Anything special compared to lead batteries?
    I can plug up graphs, etc but I'm curious about hooking up the motor, especially since I don't know how the motor recharges the battery.
    Are there separate cables going from the motor to the battery for the recharging component? I see Lithium Pros has a separate DC charger for this, so I have to figure out if there is already one on my boat I need to remove first.

If I could figure this part out (and the strap/tray to hold them down), I think I could install them myself. I have a ratchet set somewhere in the garage I'll probably need.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    I cant find the relion battery warranty on their website?
    You can't find ANYTHING on their website, especially prices. You have to sit on the phone if you want real info.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    You can't find ANYTHING on their website, especially prices. You have to sit on the phone if you want real info.
    Other than the marketing sales info, best of luck finding out what company makes the cells used in the battery, which manufacturing plant assembles those cells into a battery case, what company actually designed and manufacturers the BMS, and whose team of sustaining engineers if there is any QAs and supports it.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-30-2018 at 07:42 PM.

7. Member
    Can you use one of the Relion 100 AH or Battle Born 100 AH batteries as a starter or deep cycle only?
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

8. Banned
    Not sure why you guys have such a hard time finding info on the site. It’s all there except for pricing

http://www.relionbattery.com/resourc...gized-warranty

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/44155...=1516383016408

Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Can you use one of the Relion 100 AH or Battle Born 100 AH batteries as a starter or deep cycle only?
    I use a Relion RB80AH for my crank/accessories battery. I originally had ordered a 100AH, but they have changed the specs of the BMS for that battery , and it would not crank my Pro XS. Had to exchange it for an RB80...From what I understand they have a "HD 100" in development that will be appropriate as a crank battery. Be sure and confirm exactly what you intend to use your battery for with your Relion Rep.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Battle Born still has a cranking battery in development. I'm uncertain to when it will be released. The regular 12v 100 ah BMS will not allow it to crank a pro xs.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I use a Relion RB80AH for my crank/accessories battery. I originally had ordered a 100AH, but they have changed the specs of the BMS for that battery , and it would not crank my Pro XS. Had to exchange it for an RB80...From what I understand they have a "HD 100" in development that will be appropriate as a crank battery. Be sure and confirm exactly what you intend to use your battery for with your Relion Rep.
    The new one is the hp, just bought one havent used it yet, tje relion rep told me that was the one i needed for cranking a 3l merc..

12. Banned
    been running a relion rb100 for my starter for a couple years now with no issues

13. Member
    Been using my 100ah for 3 years like I said above. It powered a 250 Pro XS and cranked itwith ease and now my new boat a 200 Suzuki. I do have the older styles 100ah also!

14. Member
    The way he explained it to me the rb 100 would work fine but the rb 100 hp was developed with a lil different starting profile.. They had just come out with it in nov. I have no idea what the difference is but thats the one he recommended for starting..

15. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    The way he explained it to me the rb 100 would work fine but the rb 100 hp was developed with a lil different starting profile.. They had just come out with it in nov. I have no idea what the difference is but thats the one he recommended for starting..

Correct the HP has a different BMS to allow for starting. However the current RB100 will not start a Mercury Pro XS and is not recommended for starting and will engage the BMS if attempted to start one, this battery makes for a great trolling battery though. The battery listed above by Troy and flatsboy are the older style RB100 which have the previous BMS to allow cranking. This is also the same battery I have been running for several years without issue.

16. Member
    How do you charge them? I have a Min Kota MK220 D 2 bank Charger. Will it work with lithium batteries?

17. Member
    I use the Pro Mariner Elite Triple 36

18. BBC SPONSOR
    I use a Minn kota 460 pc to charge my Battle Born's set on the AGM setting. If or when my 460 pc ever dies I'll go with a Dual Pro programmed for my Battle Born's.

19. Member
    Thank you all for the information. I guess when considering this type of investment in batteries I just want to be sure I will be satisfied. I'd hate to spend $3000 and be unhappy. I have a 36 volt trolling motor and I'm running 3 batteries so one is serving as a cranker/troller. I'd like to keep the same setup but if need be I can just go to 3 lithium's for the troller and keep one of my AGM's as the cranker. I've heard several people say they are happy with 3 50AH lithium's for their 36 volt trolling motor. Seems like small batteries but if they work that would be the cheapest route with the most weight savings.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12