Thread: Boat shows 2018

Madfish

Boat shows 2018

It's that time once again fellow fisherman!!!!----As a member of the Mercury Pro Team---Crestliner Pro Staff---and H & W Marine Pro Staff, i will be working the La State Fair Boating and Outdoor show in Shreveport, La ---Jan. 19,20,21------and the KNOE TV8 Boating and Outdoor Show Jan 26,27,28 at the Monroe, La Civic Center-------If you happen to be in the area please stop by and say hello----Thanks---Jim

2. Member
    I went to a boat show once. I was hoping to see booths from the likes of mercury lowrance hummingbird motorguide minn Kota etc. I was disappointed that it was mostly a bunch of dealers peddling ski boats and pontoons and food vendors selling boiled peanuts and such. I know they are probably good for dealers but for an average consumer they are a waste of time imo. But good luck to you nonetheless.

3. Member
    Every boat show I go to gets swarmed with salt water stuff. Glad to see there will be a fresh water presence in Shreveport, La.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

4. Not Banned
    Every one I go to all I see is a bunch of patch pirates trying to push overpriced junk.

Now I must admit the last boat show I went to was three years ago in Atlanta. Most of the boats there were yachts, pontoons, wake boats and pleasure boats. There were 3 dealers there with Aluminum or glass bass boats. The Ranger and G3 Dealers were more than willing to make a great deal as both gave me a price that would be hard to beat. At the time I was waiting on having my old home sold before I could ink a deal. I really was impressed with the G3 with the new Yammie SHO and they knocked my socks off with the quote they gave me even with all of the options I wanted to put on it. Even the Ranger dealer got right on his price. Both dealers were aware of my situation monetarily but were still willing to give me a great quote. So if the dealers at the boat shows are serious they will make a great deal.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

6. Madfish
    Not only am i representing my sponsors, but i also sell, sell, sell-----I sold boats for 15 years at a dealer in Monroe, La.----the purpose of the shows i work are selling shows----the discounts offered at the shows are mostly the best you will see all season----dealers purchase their boats just like car dealers do, on a floor plan--free interest for x amount of days--- once that interest kicks in, it is added to the cost of the boat----thus the cost has to go up or the profit margin thins-----one who is serious about buying can really make a great purchase at a show in January or February as most dealers get early discounts from the large buys from the factories on their first orders-----but you did not hear this from me!!!!!!!!!

7. Member
    Hear what?

8. Member
    I am glad to hear you are representing your Dealer and Brands during show season. Not much of that going on these days with aluminum boats. I will say my fishing staff i had working the shows for me in Dallas were key to my sales each year. Without their knowledge in fishing and how well they new the product i was just another dealer selling boats. Good luck to you and H&W for 2018.

9. Madfish
    thank you texoma----i give my all for my sponsors at the shows---i love selling the aluminum rigs but i will jump in to help with the glass ones as well----its all about the dealer and his success!!! i am just a rep trying to help his business!!

10. Member
    What boats will H&W have at this show with Crestliner, and what boat are you fishing out of?

11. Member
    For those interested in the custom aluminums from Gator Trax as well as other respected south Louisiana boat builders, Hanko, Scully, Cottonmouth, Metal Shark, and possibly others, all are usually at the boat show in Gonzales, LA. This year it is March 15-18. It is a great opportunity to see them all at one place - which is the real advantage to a boat show in my opinion. Must be a lot of good deals because last year I saw a bunch of sold signs on the boats and the local Express dealer told me he sold 31 boats at the show.

12. Madfish
    H & W sells Crestliner, G3, and Skeeter Bass boats along with Crest, G3 Pontoons----I am currently fishing out of the VT-18 with Merc 115CT

13. Member
    It used to be that manufacturers would stock the show with product and have the regional dealers that were present sell off of that product. Now, the man's want dealers to bring their own product to the show and the man's will only send a factory rep to work the show. The man's no longer foot the big bill but pass more costs on to the dealer thereby only providing some help. Also, look at hull identification numbers at the show and you may find some dealer leftover product that they are trying to move.

Boat shows are no longer boat shows. You now have more travel agents, RV's/campers, tourism, fishing, water sports, Twiggy the Squirrel, trinket sellers, etc. The buyer now has to rely on catalogues, word-of-mouth, and internet viewings in order to examine/view product. At your expense, dealers will make an arrangement with the factory for a tour or viewing of a certain model.

Boat shows are a dying breed.

Quote Originally Posted by High Tide View Post
    It used to be that manufacturers would stock the show with product and have the regional dealers that were present sell off of that product. Now, the man's want dealers to bring their own product to the show and the man's will only send a factory rep to work the show. The man's no longer foot the big bill but pass more costs on to the dealer thereby only providing some help. Also, look at hull identification numbers at the show and you may find some dealer leftover product that they are trying to move.

Boat shows are no longer boat shows. You now have more travel agents, RV's/campers, tourism, fishing, water sports, Twiggy the Squirrel, trinket sellers, etc. The buyer now has to rely on catalogues, word-of-mouth, and internet viewings in order to examine/view product. At your expense, dealers will make an arrangement with the factory for a tour or viewing of a certain model.

Boat shows are a dying breed.
    Which is why many dealers are having open house type shows at their dealerships during the late winter. Many get a couple pro's sponsored by the brands they carry to come and do seminars.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Madfish
    Sorry your boat show experiences are of a bad tastes----I can assure you that is not the way we operate----i am very well versed in all models i represent-----and i do have my personal boat availble nearby for test runs if a customer needs that ---- also i live up to my contract by giving demo rides all during the year to interested customers----yes there are all kinds of booths and thats why they are called boating and outdoor shows----but in the shows i work most major bass and crappie boats are represented ---in the Monroe show the entire civic center interior is filled with bass, crappie and a few pontoon and ski boats and the hallways surrounding the arena is also found to have several boats. the shreveport show has boats inside and out with dealers coming from as far as Okla and Texas so i beg to differ----All shows aren't the same----HID #'s do indicate year of Mfg but they also offer great savings if a dealer has any leftovers----and the invoice will reflect model year ---- if you wish to seriously discuss how bad things are i would be happy to talk to you ----but i would never steer anyone wrong!!!!!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelinjim View Post
    Sorry your boat show experiences are of a bad tastes----I can assure you that is not the way we operate----i am very well versed in all models i represent-----and i do have my personal boat availble nearby for test runs if a customer needs that ---- also i live up to my contract by giving demo rides all during the year to interested customers----yes there are all kinds of booths and thats why they are called boating and outdoor shows----but in the shows i work most major bass and crappie boats are represented ---in the Monroe show the entire civic center interior is filled with bass, crappie and a few pontoon and ski boats and the hallways surrounding the arena is also found to have several boats. the shreveport show has boats inside and out with dealers coming from as far as Okla and Texas so i beg to differ----All shows aren't the same----HID #'s do indicate year of Mfg but they also offer great savings if a dealer has any leftovers----and the invoice will reflect model year ---- if you wish to seriously discuss how bad things are i would be happy to talk to you ----but i would never steer anyone wrong!!!!!!
    I would think this would be a good show. Sounds like you are passionate at what you will be doing. Best sales staff i ever had was guys like this. Dedication like his is getting harder to find representing Aluminum Boats. In the future if it does not work out with H&W let me know you can represent me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    I would think this would be a good show. Sounds like you are passionate at what you will be doing. Best sales staff i ever had was guys like this. Dedication like his is getting harder to find representing Aluminum Boats. In the future if it does not work out with H&W let me know you can represent me.
    Great i just give my own post a thumbs up. I can't seem to delete it. Just ignore and read the above post. Thanks

18. Madfish
    Thanks Texoma---i am not that far from Atoka---have been through there many times----my son lives in Noble----i was stationed at Ft. Sill years ago ---if you will pm me your contact info i will try to stop by when i am in the area to say hello!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelinjim View Post
    Thanks Texoma---i am not that far from Atoka---have been through there many times----my son lives in Noble----i was stationed at Ft. Sill years ago ---if you will pm me your contact info i will try to stop by when i am in the area to say hello!!
    Look forward to it.

20. Madfish
    Just returned from working the La State Fair Boating and Outdoor Show in Shreveport. H & W Marine represents Skeeter, Crestliner and G3 bass boats----we sold 11 units 3 Skeeters, 2 G3's and 6 Crestliners---i had a hand in 4 sales as i get the commitment then turn them over to a salesperson from the dealer----one PT18 was sold -two VT-18-a Storm 1700 -a stick steer, and a CT-18-----great crowd on Saturday, met a lot of people, talked to lots of old friends, visited with Scott Rook for a while ---been a while since i had time to visit with him---and Greg Procell, a Ranger guy who was once a great basketball player down in Ebarb, La.remember him scoring 53 pts one game !!!!