Thread: Muzzle brakes

Muzzle brakes

Does a muzzle brake help with rifle recoil much? I've never fired a rifle that had one? Do they make much difference?

2. Member
    If the rifle produces a lot of gas yes they work. The big magnums using slow powder especially. The drawback is the noise they create. Personally I can deal with recoil. The blast gets to me.

Higher pressure cartridges “brake” better than low pressure rounds. There are some brakes that offer 50%+ recoil reduction. As noted above, sound pressure will dramatically increase. There is a likelihood of permanent hearing damage without good hearing protection.

There are a few linear-style brakes that do offer some of the benefits of reduced recoil with minimal added noise. I have a Troy Industries Claymore brake on my .300 Blackout AR that is not super loud. It does not brake as well as a conventional model, though.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Like both above explained definitely a difference in recoil but the design of the brake directs the sound back at you in a sense. Hearing protection definitely recommended with a brake. My cousins is so loud I can't stand shooting with him.

5. Member
    Browning had a muzzle brake on their rifles and called it The Boss System, work good, too.

obnoxiously loud. My buddy had a browning 243 boss. That dude sounded like a 300 wm.

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I've got a synthetic A-Bolt II in .280 Rem w/BOSS.

Didn't take me long to replace the standard brake module (top, in photo) with the conventional recoil model (below)...

Recoil tradeoff was a non-issue to me vs. the noise reduction... As stated above; it was painfully, obnoxiously loud.
    Who controls John Gill?

I have a 30/378 weatherby. With brake it is not bad shooting on bench (muffs and ear plugs though), without brake......painful on a bench.

9. Member
    Yeah I'm not worried too much with how loud it is. I only shoot with hearing protection, and I shoot on private land only. No ranges or anything so not worried with that. Wondering mainly about the recoil factor only. I can "handle" any recoil just wanting some opinions from other guys who shoot regularly on the difference. I'm also talking mainly on bolt rifles. A 556/223 AR doesn't have any recoil really my 10 yr old son can shoot mine with no problem.

10. Member
    It'll definitely help! If you really want to knock down that recoil, get you a suppressor. I shot a 300 winmag that had a suppressor in Afghanistan. Recoil felt like an AR!
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO