2012 250 Pro blowing fuse

I have a 2012 250 Pro XS that has started blowing the 20 amp fuse on the motor. Replace it it will start then dies. Check fuse it is blown. Replace start the dies blown fuse. It is the one toward the front of motor. Started all of a sudden after a day of fishing. Started all of a sudden. Any ideas what or where to look for a cause? Thanks

2. Member
    You need to provide your serial number as per forum rules.

3. Member
    My buddies motor as done that a few times and it’s been a bad coil according to him.

4. Member
    ^^^^^ very likely bad coil
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Sorry didn't have the boat near to get it. I will update my post as soon as I can get to the boat. Thanks

X3 on a coil & most likely the cause. Look for one that looks slightly distorted. They sometimes blow the packing out around the top as well.

7. Member
    Yep ditto bad coil. Look for a crack in one of your coils. You will find white puffy material seeping out.

8. Member
    serial # 1B903213

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As suggested, I'd be looking at the ignition coils and harness, as well as wiring for fuel pumps, injectors and direct injectors. Precise circuit depends on the fuse number (and wire colors attached to that fuse).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor