Similar but different battery question

Tried searching for my exact scenario and couldn't find it.

I have a 1993 black max 175 (0g001185) that I don't have a manual for. I currently have an everstart extreme group 24 cranking battery that has 1,000 MCA. I dont know the reserve capacity. I run everything except the trolling motor on that battery. After upgrades this winter I will be running a helix 9, helix 10, 859 and HB 360.

Will that group 24 hold up for 10-12 hour days without a ton of running?

I have a spare Everstart group 27 Deep Cycle with 750 MCA. Would that be the better option? Does it have enough MCA to crank that motor?

Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    I would change the 24 with a higher reserve, or be sure to use standby on helix,the 27 would prob work but its not a good batt for stator type charging system ,check out batt recommends in 3.0L stickys also that will cure the problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    I would change the 24 with a higher reserve, or be sure to use standby on helix,the 27 would prob work but its not a good batt for stator type charging system ,check out batt recommends in 3.0L stickys also that will cure the problem
    ^^^^

Pay attention to the reserve capacity rating for your batteries as it will be most important for your engine off electronics consumption.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I figured out the reserve capacity is 115 minutes.

5. Member
    I have a 1991 2.5 200 carb and been running a Everstart group 24 with every thing ,but the pumps around 4 1/2 yrs . As i don't fish Tx any more . I have 2 Lowrance LCX 113c HD units on all day ,no problems .
    When this battery get weak oe start to gave problem's i am going to a 27 group then . The 2.5 don't use as much amps as the Optimas does.

6. Member
    Thanks. That's the plan for me too. See how it goes with the 24 and then upgrade to a larger cranking battery with higher reserve in the future.

7. Member
    thing is, that 200 carb will fire up almost instantly. The opti has to spin 3 revolutions to build up air pressure before lighting off. The Optis are NOT easy to spin over and are current suckers while the starter is engaged. I had an XR-6 that you could start with a rope. They even came with a rope in a bag inside the cowl for cases where the battery would go completely flat. Never do that on an Opti so no ropes are included any longer. :)

You can find a really good group 27 at O'reilly... Made by East Penn (makes Deka, Duracell, etc). I am running one on my 2014 option and it works perfectly, no low voltage alarms by the motor nor sonar units...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    Rope start...love it! Been there,done that. 2 things when doing this. Wear life jacket. After it starts,get the flywheel cover back on or it might suck the insulation off the inside of the cowling which will tear everything up around the flywheel. Not a joke. Ease Penn=good,one of the few batteries made in the USA.

9. Member
    When I bought my XR6 in 1992, went to the lake in August for a test drive. We were talking about that and the salesman (good friend of mine) mentioned it and I said "bullshit". 2.5 V6, compression stroke every revolution on all 6 cylinders. He said try it. Threw me in the lake when it backfired. He came to the back to help me in. I used my 200 pounds of body weight to pull him in with me. :)

Perhaps the terminator could pull-start that thing. Not something I would ever try. And the 200's had higher compression so I would certainly not ever try to pull one of those (same block, different sleeves).

Lots of folks removed the insulation anyway. Just looked like a problem waiting to happen.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200