Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Question Chainsaw safety gear? What's the best value out there?

As a casual user of a chainsaw, I've never messed with safety gear other than some glasses and ear muffs. I've got about 15 to 20 trees that I've cut down in the last 3 or 4 years, so still somewhat of a new user on the saw.

I plan on doing quite a bit of sawing this spring and would like to go ahead and finally buy some true safety gear. The face shield with the muffs attached looks really nice. I suppose I need to get the chaps too?

Bailey's looks like a they have a wide selection of gear (http://www.baileysonline.com/), is there any other place I should look? Certainly don't want to spend much at all, but then again don't want to get poor quality stuff either.

Also tempted to upgrade the bar and chain to a non-safety chain and bar to see if there really is a difference...but all the warning labels kind of scare me too.
    Here's what would fit my Echo CS-400 and is cheaply price: http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsa...WPL-30LP62.axd

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Get chaps or pants. more injuries to legs from saws...

Stihl makes a kit with all of it in there. The chaps are quick on and off and the helmet is very comfy

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    As a casual user of a chainsaw, I've never messed with safety gear other than some glasses and ear muffs. I've got about 15 to 20 trees that I've cut down in the last 3 or 4 years, so still somewhat of a new user on the saw.

I plan on doing quite a bit of sawing this spring and would like to go ahead and finally buy some true safety gear. The face shield with the muffs attached looks really nice. I suppose I need to get the chaps too?

Bailey's looks like a they have a wide selection of gear (http://www.baileysonline.com/), is there any other place I should look? Certainly don't want to spend much at all, but then again don't want to get poor quality stuff either.

Also tempted to upgrade the bar and chain to a non-safety chain and bar to see if there really is a difference...but all the warning labels kind of scare me too.
    Here's what would fit my Echo CS-400 and is cheaply price: http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsa...WPL-30LP62.axd

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Are you still in Louisville? If so I will take some of that firewood off your hands.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Are you still in Louisville? If so I will take some of that firewood off your hands.
    No, moved west near KY Lake.

No, moved west near KY Lake.
    Lucky you.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Stihl makes a kit with all of it in there. The chaps are quick on and off and the helmet is very comfy
    I found the kit, about $190 on Amazon, that sound about right?

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-Woodcut.../dp/B00IINMTXM

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lucky you.
    Took many years of waiting for the right job to open up.

9. Banned
    Would the Husqvarna kit be any better than the Stihl? It costs a little more.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-531.../dp/B004FR0E1E

I found the kit, about $190 on Amazon, that sound about right?

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-Woodcut.../dp/B00IINMTXM
    Thats the one I have. Sounds about right. Local Stihl dealer might have it slightly cheaper.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Banned
    This one is tempting at only $60, but something tells me it's probably junk?

https://www.ruralking.com/profession...hoCBsUQAvD_BwE

Get the Stihl. Worth the money.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    Pretty hard to beat Rural King for value. You can bet Stihl is top quality, but the ANSI spec is met by both.

14. Member
    Safety glasses, patients, and common sense works for me... lots of people get in a hurry and that's when shit happens

The kit I have is Retail priced at $119. I got it for $105 at dealer.

16. Member
    Without a lot of experience, unexpected shit happens in a hurry no matter the speed of your work. I worked in the woods in Montana a few summers in my early 20s. Had two close calls. Was around men who only cut timber for their livelihood, it only takes a microsecond to be missing a body part or need stitches to close you up. If the man wants to spend the money on safety gear, by all means wear all of it and feel safer because you will be better protected. A friend's dad got a small stick rammed up his sinus, nothing he did wrong. Just running the saw. A face shield would have prevented open booger pickin.

17. Member
    How much wood are you cutting? The investment might not be worth it. I wore shorts and t shirt for the last tree I cut down. It was in the yard, not in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady bass View Post
    Safety glasses, patients, and common sense works for me... lots of people get in a hurry and that's when shit happens
    This right here. I run my saw a few times a year but I'm far from experienced. Just take your time, make sure you have good footing, and plan your cuts. People get hurt when they just go to cutting without regard to basic principles. Oh, and you will love the aggressive chains compared to the low kickback ones. They aren't hard to handle. All of the safety equipment should be good as long as it meet a the same industry standards. The name brand stuff is because of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Get chaps or pants. more injuries to legs from saws...
    This. Chaps are a must if you're going to do a lot of cutting. Especially if there are a lot of vines and crap around......We had close to a hundred full grown Pines die one year and cut em down for some rough cut lumber. Took us several days to get em cut and skidded out. Last day we had 2 left about 200 yards away from the others. Dad took the saw and took off walking. I said you forgot the chaps. "I just have 2 more to cut!" He didn't want to walk 200 yards with chaps on. Fifteen minutes later he came back with his shirt tied around his leg. Sixty stitches later we were back at it....Wear em!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt E. View Post
    Without a lot of experience, unexpected shit happens in a hurry no matter the speed of your work. I worked in the woods in Montana a few summers in my early 20s. Had two close calls. Was around men who only cut timber for their livelihood, it only takes a microsecond to be missing a body part or need stitches to close you up. If the man wants to spend the money on safety gear, by all means wear all of it and feel safer because you will be better protected. A friend's dad got a small stick rammed up his sinus, nothing he did wrong. Just running the saw. A face shield would have prevented open booger pickin.
    This ^^^^
    Chain saw pants.
    Chain saw boots.
    Helmet with face shield.
    Hearing protection.
    Don't count on "common sense" and "going slow" to guarantee your safety, especially it your experience is limited.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast