Dumb Toho Question

I have been on Toho a couple times and gone down to the South lock. I have wanted to pass thru the lock, but never saw anyone go thru it except on videos.

How does one get the lock keeper to open the lock to let you in when passing thru this lock in either direction and other than watching videos of people passing the lock, anyone have any other pointers?

Sorry for this silly question.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

2. Member
    There is a rope hanging at the entrance on the RH side. A quick pull and release. DO NOT pull and hold. It activates a buzzer that tells the lockmaster you are there.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

3. Member
    Read signs, pay attention, stay on your side of the 'street', allow space, hold tight, go slow.

4. Member
    Make sure you get the times the lock is open, wouldn't want to spent the night, on the wrong side.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Make sure you get the times the lock is open, wouldn't want to spent the night, on the wrong side.
    7am to 6pm weekdays, 5:30am to 6:30pm weekends during winter.

6. Member
    If it is your 1st trip thru a lock you will enjoy the experience. Take some pics..

Leaving Toho the alarm rope is on the right side of the lock barriers and when you return it is on the left side.

Go slow into and exiting the locks and hang on the the ropes on the side of the wall in the locks. If you can, hold on to two ropes. It will help keep the boat against the wall and not turn around with the current as they open the lock.

hope this helps.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

8. Member
    Thank you everyone for the replies.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but after watching videos of the pros leaving the lock heading South, the speed limit appears to be what ever you want to run? In other words its not a no wake to the Cypress lake?

Next time I am there I may have to try the lock out and if nothing else go for a nice ride down to Kissimmee.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

There is a no wake zone around the lock and it is clearly marked. When you leave the lock you will see the signs. Once you pass the no wake sign, you can run as fast as you want. Be careful as fog settles in the canals early in the morning and there is one turn in the canal just before you get to cypress. Sometimes boats coming back will take that turn wide and in your "lane". There are rocks on both sides of the canal so you run up and you are screwed.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

Make sure not to tie the rope to your gunnels. Have your boat number written on a piece of cardboard so the lock master can read it.