Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing this complete. A great job on the restore.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing this complete. A great job on the restore.
    Gracias amigo! More to come

3. Member
    Today’s project.
    Gas tank filler/rear deck panel. This is a one-off piece for sure. Someone moved the seat forward in the past. Anyways, tear it down!

Used a multi cutter to split the old plywood from the skin.

New lumber ready for glassing in

Weird approach by Bumble Bee with this gel coated panel
    Last edited by 90bumblebee; 02-25-2019 at 06:34 AM.

4. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90bumblebee View Post
    Im pleased to report the following... the Bumble Bee surgery is complete.

The professionals over at Marine Pro/Falcon boats have given us an clean slate to work with!

how much did they charge you? looking to get something similar done to a 17' tidecraft. thanks.

I’m liking the carpet trim. What do you guys think?
    Agreed the carpet trim looks much improved! Should have mounted the hinges to the vertical edges of the lids and carpeted strip - hide them that way.

I’ve been thinking about this. Definitely would prefer the hinges out of sight. The only problem is there isn’t a vertical edge to the lid where it meets the deck so the hinge has to mount to the surface of lid. Any suggestions?
    You mean this is the hinge edge of the lid?

Hmm, that's a PITA. But not unsolvable...
    You could peel back the carpet that wraps around that edge, seal and epoxy a strip of hardwood to the underside of the lid in that area, and then re-apply carpet to the vertical edge. Then screw a thin aluminum or stainless piano hinge to the hardwood piece (seal the screws to prevent moisture/rot).

Would not need to recarpet, and would be fairly cheap and easy to do.

7. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Do a Google search for "stepped piano hinge" you will find what you need. One side needs to be flat, while the other needs to have a 90° bend in it. You just need to find one with the correct dimensions.

8. Member

9. Member
    Thanks fellas, I’m on it.

10. Member
    Howdy! Sorry for the delay.

Hard to work on a project when you’re 2,300 miles away from it but I’ve managed to almost complete the deck extension.

The minimal experience I had with fiberglass was ding repair for surfboards....so I chose to glass the surround pieces first as I could easily replace one if I were to make a mistake.

The surround is installed. The frame is in but still needs to be tabbed. The deck is glassed on the underside, just needs to be laid in.

Jamestown poly resin, 3/4 oz chop mat, 1 1/2 oz chop mat, biaxial cloth, structural filler, these are my new friends.

11. Member
    It is getting close. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished boat and seeing it on the water. Great job!
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Nice glass work! Must feel great to see it at this stage, huh?

Did you put a generous radius on the edges of the wood? (hard to tell on my phone) - glass won't bend around sharp edges, so a radius prevents edge delams and voids in the laminate.

-edit, double post-

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    It is getting close. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished boat and seeing it on the water. Great job!
    Thanks so much ! Imagine I’m pretty close to pad/carpet front half of boat. From there it’s just equipment/hardware, I’m so ready.

15. Member

16. Member
    Ok Fellas,
    first let me express appreciation for your patience in this endeavor. What in the hell was I thinking? I feel like I could’ve drug a bull moose out of the backcountry with my bare hands over treacherous terrain, fought a sow grizzly or two (and lost) before finishing this DAMN boat! Still, feels pretty good to be hanging up the respirator and goggles....

Two part urethane foam didn’t arrive in time. Still need to mix and pour/patch. Also still need to finish chop mat in main storage compartment (2 flat pieces). Otherwise it’s wiring/lights and batteries, gauges and seats.

This boat will be fishing this summer!
    Last edited by 90bumblebee; 01-17-2019 at 09:03 PM.

17. Member
    Lookin very good. Can’t wait to watch it come to life!!

18. robdy72
    Looking good.

19. Member
    Drew up the front platform and changed the step design. This way I can start immediately upon return without too much confirguring. Piano hinges for boat on the way.

Once again, kudos on the renderings!
    Suggestions:
    • Consider moving the cup holders starboard, up against the console, and shift the storage lid towards port. That way, if you step quickly up or down, you won't worry about stepping or stumbling on drinks in the way.
    • Eliminate the angle on the step, and make the lid cover the entire storage area. I know, less sexy, but simpler to fabricate, and much easier to carpet.
    • Make the cup holder portion from Starboard material, and include a couple of tool holder slots. Easy material to work with, easy to install/remove, and no carpet to clean when drink splashes occur.
    • Consider making the step lid from Starboard as well. You can get the stuff with a texture finish on it. Again, less to carpet, and easy to keep clean... since this will get a LOT of foot traffic.

Here's a quick Google Sketchup rendering - a pic is worth a thousand words:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast