1990 Evinrude 150 de carb?

I read about people de carbing their motor every year. I have no idea of what they are talking about. Is this something that needs to be done every year and is it an additive that you add to the gas or what? Is there a specific process that you need to do to accomplish this? Can anyone tell me if I should do this and how to do it? Thanks for your help on this.

2. Member
    Best thing to do is use the boat and run the piss out of it at least monthly. OMC engine tuner pn 777185 is a tuner and they also make a parts storage fogging oil. Follow directions on can

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes you can do it. Two ways it can be done, either you can shoot the engine tuner down the carb throats with the engine running on cooling muffs or attach the adapter hose to the shraeder valve on the primer solenoid. Apply it until the engine stalls then let it sit a minimum of 8 hours. DO NOT do it on a concrete driveway it will stain the heck out of it. Don't panic when you apply it will smoke like crazy and kill every mosquito in the county. Replace the plugs after the process is complete.

4. Member
    That sounds simple enough. I just don't know where or what a shraeder valve or primer solenoid is. I assume that the carb throats would be where the air comes into the carbs?
    Thanks

5. Member
    Look up how to use BRP engine tuner on U-Tube.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    ****Hey Jerry...doing ok? Froze in here**** (As far as running the piss out of it,,,be careful. She is old and like some of us here... if we havent maintained ourselves properly, can hurt us if we over exert.)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    This is where your primer solenoid is an it shows you Shraeder valve.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    ****Hey Jerry...doing ok? Froze in here**** (As far as running the piss out of it,,,be careful. She is old and like some of us here... if we havent maintained ourselves properly, can hurt us if we over exert.)
    I've had the flu, now the wife has it. Cold here, just trying to stay warm. Did you get that heated shop built?

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I've had the flu, now the wife has it. Cold here, just trying to stay warm. Did you get that heated shop built?
    Got the old one torn down and now I have the flu...

10. Member
    1994 40 hp e40tlere --

Ok, guys read the post, viewed the u-tube.... I still have questions on de-carb ...I plan to do it in the lake, for water cooling, this Spring '18.... this would be from a boat lift, with lower unit submerged, ... I believe that this ought to be

ok to keep water flowing, and cooling....is this correct.....I do not have muffs......prefer to use lake ....

Now, it has 2 carbs... spray inside both carbs equally with high idle lever up...is this correct, until the engine stalls.... let sit 8 hours... why can't you do this several times --- re-starting and re-spraying -- to ensure things are clean???

This motor is 24 yrs old (new to me) has never, never, and never had anything done to it....it was on a pontoon....I have no history.....except that it is probably full of extreme carbon from idling around....

My big fear, is when I de-carb ...I'll break chunks of "hard" carbon off inside the cylinders damaging rings, walls, pistons...etc.. So, what do you do...?? I'm afraid I might blow the engine, then I'm broke... Also, if it doesn't

blow chunks the first time it might do it the 2nd, or 3rd time...destroying the engine.... so, what say you......I don't have any idea.....motor ran good on the lake last summer... about 1 hr wot run time total --no problems

Thanks,

New One

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Thought we where talking about a 1990 150???????

12. Member
    omcforever,

You are perfectly, and accurately correct, Sir......I believe ChampioNman answered the poster's question...since no further response from poster, since Jan.3, 2018, and TxRanger1 concluded post with a "Thanks"

However, it came up this morning with your post....it was at the top of the forum....I read it....was very much interested...so, I tried to keep the "De-Carb" subject alive, with my question, and concerns, while it was on the boards "mind"......

If I screwed up, I'm very sorry, I truly didn't believe I hijacked the post away from TxRanger1......only tried to keep on the.de-carb subject within the post.......

Well, I'm Sorry.....

Thanks,

New One

13. Member
    Okay, sorry for the delay in getting back, I got it done and it wasnt that difficult. Thanks for all your help.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar