2012 619 w/ 200 SHO

Ultrex on a Sabre

Going to be helping install one this weekend just looking for any tips or known issues I might run into, original TM was a Motor Guide if it matters. Mine was a breeze on my Phoenix but I already had a Minn-Kota so the holes matched up.

If you take the plastic panels off the sides of the Ultrex mount there should be holes that line up with the MG mounting holes.

What year model is the Sabre?

BCB

4. 2012 619 w/ 200 SHO
    Think it is a 14 or 15
    Last edited by kellisag; 01-02-2018 at 02:10 PM.

5. Member
    I did mine on a 2015, best advise i can give is to find someone with small arms to help with the front two bolts and bracket. That small access hole is a pain.

6. Member
    On the Sabre, I would consider drilling a small hole in the side plate to run the wiring through, then connecting to the back side of the plug where the trolling motor wires connect. I would then put a cutoff breaker inline at the batteries. The footpedal design with the wiring harness coming off the front is in the way of getting the plug in it's current location and the Ultrex, having a constant draw, needs to be disconnected from the batteries when not in use or when charging the batteries. I clamshell over the hole will give a trimmed out look.
    Also, when mounting the new one, use silicone on the aluminum blocks under the deck to hold them in place while putting the nyloc nuts (use antiseize on the nuts) on the bolts.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    I had the same problem with the TM power plug being partially blocked by the foot pedal cables and preventing me from plugging in/unplugging the power plug. My solution was to raise the front of the foot pedal base by installing spacers under the two front mounting screws. I used nylon spacers I found at Home Depot. The change in foot pedal angle wasn't even noticable during operation but it did allow the plug to go under the cables. I did have to use a dremel tool on one of spacers to allow room for the head of a screw on the base plate.

8. 2012 619 w/ 200 SHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    What year model is the Sabre?

BCB

Just checked it is a 13 if that matters.

9. Member
    John....Could I install a rocker switch at the bow to cut the power to the Ultrex?
    I have a 60A breaker at the batteries, but would like to cut the power to the TM without having to get in the back compartment.

Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013sabre View Post
    John....Could I install a rocker switch at the bow to cut the power to the Ultrex?
    I have a 60A breaker at the batteries, but would like to cut the power to the TM without having to get in the back compartment.

Thanks
    Answered the PM. thanks
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    That is what I did with the clamshell into the side panel and it turned out great! I have my transducer cable and I-pilot link cable ran through it so they are not just sitting under the TM foot pedal.

12. 2012 619 w/ 200 SHO
    Thanks everyone. Went smooth, the tip about removing the side panels saved us from having to drill new holes. Ran power wires thru the clamshell and tied it all in.

13. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I'd love an Ultrex on my 15 sabre but so far I keep it outside under its supplied cover.
    If I exchange the MG for the Ultrex I know the cover will no longer fit.
    Is that a good solution to the problem absent buying a new cover?

14. Member
    Bobh:
    All you would have to do is find somebody good locally that does boat tops and get them to release yours a little around the trolling motor to make it fit. No need to replace the cover.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    I'd love an Ultrex on my 15 sabre but so far I keep it outside under its supplied cover.
    If I exchange the MG for the Ultrex I know the cover will no longer fit.
    Is that a good solution to the problem absent buying a new cover?
    Been considering an Ultrex on my Sabre FTD, But was concerned about the Aurora cover fitting. Contacted a friend of mine who does upholstery and put a new canvas top on my M3 convertible. He told me it was no problem modifying the Aurora. Told me he could get in touch with Aurora and get matching material if it required a cut and sew modification.
    I’d ask around at some local shops that do canvas tops.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Thank you guys I'll look into that