Thread: Florida bound

Florida bound

We are spending a month from the last week in Jan. to the last week in Feb. in Florida Kissimmee area trailering my boat down. We plan on fishing Toho and might go down to Ocheechobee for largemouth and any other lakes you might recommend. I was wondering if peacock bass were anywhere other than the Miami area? I've never fished in Florida and being from Ontario could use some helpful hints on where to go and what works. Are the canals brackish waters? Would I have to flush my motor after fishing there? Any good crappie lakes? Going to be so different for us coming from lakes that are already frozen over. Thanks for any hints or tips.

2. Banned
    Peacock bass are not this far north. Just around the Miami area. Be careful if you go south for peacocks, some of the ramps are not in the nicest areas.

3. Member
    lake ida chain in palm beach co. is full of them

4. Member
    in Feb I would fish Lake Kissimmee.

5. Member
    Honestly, stay in the Kissimmee Chain and relax.
    It's got the trophy fish, it won't destroy your boat, it's safer, etc.
    You can fish FOUR major lakes and minor ones as well.
    If you've not passed the south lock at Toho, do it.
    Fish in Cypress, Hatchineha and Kissimmee - learn the area.
    You've got nearly 80,000 acres on the primary waters.

6. Member
    What Jim said.

Haven't fished that chain in years but with a month you should learn it enough to really catch em, plus, unless you do something really crazy you won't have any worries about the boat. Can be some phenomenal fishing - both numbers and size.

7. Member
    Thanks for the recommendations looking forward to some warmth and fishing in my boat.

8. Member
    From one Canadian to another there are lots of opportunities around Kissimmee, I fish 5-6 weeks on Okeechobee and tow my boat down as well. Text me anytime 519-860-3400 for details.

Good crappie fishing here as well.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lowerunit View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations looking forward to some warmth and fishing in my boat.
    Not warm here now!!!! LOL Will be in the 30's here for the next couple of nights.

10. Member
    Compared to temps up here going to be -26C(-15F) overnight on Friday thats shorts weather lol. Whats the usual temps this time of year?
    Last edited by lowerunit; 01-03-2018 at 05:05 PM.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Honestly, stay in the Kissimmee Chain and relax.
    It's got the trophy fish, it won't destroy your boat, it's safer, etc.
    You can fish FOUR major lakes and minor ones as well.
    If you've not passed the south lock at Toho, do it.
    Fish in Cypress, Hatchineha and Kissimmee - learn the area.
    You've got nearly 80,000 acres on the primary waters.
    When you guys say kissimee do you mean lake tohopekaliga?

Considering heading down there begining of feb for a few weeks. I have a decent rv, can you over night at the ramps, are there truck stops at all anyplace or walmart lots? Do I need to find a secure rv park to be in?

Thanks Jeff

12. Member
    Camp Mack is on the river between lakes Hatch. and Kiss. Plenty of rv camping and boat ramp..

13. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Kissimee "Chain" = Lake(s) W.Toho, Cypress, Hatch, (possibly Tiger?) and Kissimee. They're all connected.

I'm heading down from Vermont in Jan/Feb to the same area. How is the weed spraying, etc. in that area?
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Kissimee "Chain" = Lake(s) W.Toho, Cypress, Hatch, (possibly Tiger?) and Kissimee. They're all connected.
    Thank you google maps doesnt really make it evident they are connected. I found a better map.. And now it makes sense.
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...lake+kissimee#

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webertime View Post
    I'm heading down from Vermont in Jan/Feb to the same area. How is the weed spraying, etc. in that area?
    Like the rest of Florida, they are spraying the crap out of it to make the snowbirds on pontoon boats happy. Enjoy the experience with the natives, it’s really quite special.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Thank you google maps doesnt really make it evident they are connected. I found a better map.. And now it makes sense.
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...lake+kissimee#
    There are two dams/locks on the chain ... one on the south end of West Toho connecting to the river to Cypress and the second at the south end of Kissimmee connecting to the river to Okeechobee. Locks are free to use, but take about 15 minutes to navigate. The lakes are fairly obstacle free with a bit of common sense. The river is deep between each lake. Food/fuel on Toho, food on Hatchineha, food/fuel on Kissimmee. It’s a really great Chain of Lakes with really large bass. Best opportunity in the state to get your personal best.

18. Banned
    There are two dams/locks on the chain ... one on the south end of West Toho connecting to the river to Cypress and the second at the south end of Kissimmee connecting to the river to Okeechobee. Locks are free to use, but take about 15 minutes to navigate. The lakes are fairly obstacle free with a bit of common sense. The river is deep between each lake. Food/fuel on Toho, food on Hatchineha, food/fuel on Kissimmee. It’s a really great Chain of Lakes with really large bass. Best opportunity in the state to get your personal best.

Thanks Jim I appreciate the info for sure. My pb is under 6lb so shouldnt be too hard to beat!

I assume toho has a lot more pressure being so close to town or is that irrelevant?
    Last edited by Jeff from Iowa; 01-05-2018 at 10:51 AM.

19. Banned
    Like the rest of Florida, they are spraying the crap out of it to make the snowbirds on pontoon boats happy. Enjoy the experience with the natives, it’s really quite special.
    Does that include me Jim! Ill be on Kiss for two weeks out of Camp Mack the first of Feb ( Garnet and Gold Gambler), hope I don't get taken over by a thousand damn snowbirds /yanks. FYI I hate FSU, original owner ordered it with these colors. GO GATORS and yes we suck something awful. Did you ever sell your place on the Hatch Jim?

On a serious note ....prayers out to the nonboater that was fishing the Costa event, his family and everyone searching on
    Okeechobee. I couldn't imagine being adrift all night in that place, especially with the low water temps. Hopefully they find the fellow in good shape.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 01-05-2018 at 12:04 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Does that include me Jim! Ill be on Kiss for two weeks out of Camp Mack the first of Feb ( Garnet and Gold Gambler), hope I don't get taken over by a thousand damn snowbirds /yanks. FYI I hate FSU, original owner ordered it with these colors. GO GATORS and yes we suck something awful. Did you ever sell your place on the Hatch Jim?
    You are used to the spraying, and the traffic, and the jet skis, and the overpriced hotels, and the completely overflowing restaurants, etc. We’ve both seen/enjoyed the changes over the decades. Originally from Orange Park, moved to Tallahassee and now Tampa Bay. It’s not exactly been improving over the years. And you can forget about the snowbirds not running around - they are here. Catching speck limits for the freezer/return trip/yard sale in Wisconsin.

The previous owner bought the boat in the correct colors and you know it. Nice to see you making positive changes. It’s OK to grouse a little and pretend it’s a bad thing - after all, it takes awhile to swap out your friend list.

Yep, I did sell the lakefront retreat on the Kissimmee Chain. Not too far from asking price and a straight cash deal. Closed in late July. New owner is thrilled. I miss the access and relaxation, but I don’t miss the responsibility/liability. Been doing more trips to the beach retreat and going hiking whenever time/weather permit.

Let me know when you are down and we might be able to catch lunch, etc.