Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T Dub

Lost my favorite shotgun yesterday

The barrel is ruined on my Super Black Eagle thanks to a faulty hevi-metal shell. Not Exactly sure what happened - my second shot during a volley failed to fire (I think) so I manually cycled the action and fired my third shot no problem. Loaded back up and my next shot was a squib-fire that sounded like a squeaky firework and the shot trickled out of the end of my barrel. We all laughed until I noticed the bulge in the center of my barrel

So I looked online today and apparently there was a recall on hevi-metal from a couple years ago and several people have had their guns ruined. I emailed Hevi-Shot as I was never notified of the recall, but I doubt they will help.

If anyone has or can find a replacement 28” barrel I would greatly appreciate it. I understand that the SBE2 barrel will fit if you also have the SBE2 forend, but I would only consider that as last resort as I already have an SBE2 and would like to keep the gun original.

No more Hevi-shot products for me. I’ve enjoyed the deadly shots over the years, but it cost me my favorite shotgun.

2. Member
    Same thing happened to my buddy and they bought him anew barrel plus a case of shells

3. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by lrgmth2 View Post
    Same thing happened to my buddy and they bought him anew barrel plus a case of shells
    How did he contact them?

4. T Dub
    An associate from Hevi-shot called me today and took my information. He is having me return the shells and send in my barrel for inspection. If they confirm the shells are faulty he said they will send me a check to take care of the gun and shells. I hope they make it right.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    How were the shells faulty? Just curious.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. T Dub
    According to their website the wads were made of the wrong plastic and can crack in below freezing temps causing squib loads and other problems when fired.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    According to their website the wads were made of the wrong plastic and can crack in below freezing temps causing squib loads and other problems when fired.
    Thanks!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I'm sure if it is deemed a fault if theirs then they will.. especially if this in a known issue..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    That stinks but at least you were ok. Could have been worse!

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Very true..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. T Dub
    After boo-hooing over my gun for a bit, we all said the same thing in the blind. UPS is supposed to pick up my shells and barrel today. I’m not exactly sure what Hevi-shot has in mind since I can’t replace the barrel anymore. I may just have to wait for another complete gun to pop up and keep my other for parts.

This is true. I would put the SBE2 barrel and forearm on it if it'll fit. I hated my SBE,it shot about a foot low like almost everybody else's that I ever talked to,even tried the shims. I ended up having the point of impact changed(controlled barrel bend). The raised rib on the SBE2 eliminated that low impact problem,and it points better for me too. Good luck,maybe they'll make it right for you.

13. Member
    Do you have any lot numbers or anything on the shells?
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

14. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Do you have any lot numbers or anything on the shells?
    This is the original link I found the day I searched.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/hev...#axzz53ER6kyJE

My batch number is 610087 and not listed, but several others had problems with unlisted batches

15. Member
    Thanks.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Wow, I have a couple boxes I need to check
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I have a whole case I need to check. They are awesome shells combined with my Super Vinci. They can reach out there and still hit hard.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

18. T Dub
    I can't comment on anything that did or did not happen concerning myself and the company, but I will say they are a stand-up company. I have nothing, but positive things to say and nothing but a positive opinion of them.

19. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Glad they are taking care of you. I had a squib load from hevi-metal last year. Didn't damage by barrel though. Haven't had any more issues. Down to about 4 boxes from last year. Got a new case of Hevi-Metal from Roger's a few weeks ago so it should be ok. You really have to watch for the deals on these and jump on them when they go on sale.

I just replaced a SBE2 forearm. . . let me tell you, I squirmed when I saw the price. Only place I could find them was from the Benelli website.

20. Member
    I sent a SBE back to benelli per their direction a few months after purchase along with several shot patterns well low of intended target and they sent me a picture of how I needed to line up the beads and barrel to compensate for the drop after shooting it themselves getting the same results. I thought really I’m supposed to compensate the aim on a shotgun. They told me the only other thing they could do was bend the barrel, I traded the gun soon after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast