1968 60HP 2-Cycle No start issue

Somebody had to be the first to ask a dumb question (or more) in 2018 - so here I am! Happy New Year to all.

Mercury 1986 60 HP 2-Cycle, 3 cylinder motor. Serial Number A924092

I bought the motor in late autumn, bought the SELOC manual and have been reading it and the many forums on the web to learn all I can before the next boating season. It's like drinking from a fire hose!

1). The information I can find shows this to be an ELO electric start (OK), long shaft (OK), oil-injected (not OK) motor. It does have power tilt with the pump external to the motor. Does that make it an ELPTO with external pump? There is no oil-injection system so I mix 50:1 in the fuel tank per the previous owner. I'm fine without the injector and actually prefer it, so that's not an issue.

2) The issue at hand is the motor cranks but does not start (sound familiar?). It seems to me to be a fuel delivery problem. I've discovered that the spark plugs are dry, so it's not flooded. Primer bulb pumps up hard and holds. I can hear the choke solenoid/enricher click when I push in the ignition switch. I think it has a choke because when the solenoid is engaged I can see a lever pushing a rod, presumably to the carbs. If I remove each plug and squirt a small amount of fuel into the cylinder the motor starts and runs ok. Is this motor supposed to have a choke or an enricher? Knowing that would help me figure out my next troubleshooting step. I have the service records form the past five years and note the carbs have been rebuilt a few times, although I don't know if they were rebuilt properly. I'd rather not just throw money at the problem to have someone rebuild the carbs again and/or replace parts because it 'might' be the problem. Any expert advice appreciated.

3) Can anyone recommend an honest and competent mechanic in the Wilmington NC to Myrtle Beach SC area?

Thanks for putting up with my rambling!

Jack

2. Member
    mtr prob originaly had auto blend [inline oil mixer] yes would make it elpto not a good system,it has a choke but doesn't have flappers in front of carb,pump bulb turn key on hold key in do not let off until it fires they are very cold natured,helps to pump bulb very hard
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................