Winter crappie fishing

I have been wanting to try and catch some crappie this winter. What is the best way to locate and catch fish this time of year? I have tried winter crappie fishing a few times before, but I have not had a lot of luck with it. Seem like I can mark fish on creek channel swings, but I can rarely get them to bite.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    I have been wanting to try and catch some crappie this winter. What is the best way to locate and catch fish this time of year? I have tried winter crappie fishing a few times before, but I have not had a lot of luck with it. Seem like I can mark fish on creek channel swings, but I can rarely get them to bite.

You have most of the equation figured out. Look for structure and baitfish on the channel swings. Try smaller baits but do not discount larger baits sometimes bigger is better even in winter. Try Hair jigs and plastics of different color combos. The great thing about winter crappie is once you figure out the pattern it will stay very consistent. Keep at it and good luck.

Is it best to vertical jig them or cast and count the jigs down?

4. Member
    Is it best to vertical jig them or cast and count the jigs down?
    I have better luck vertical as i can control depth without getting hung up and disturb the structure i am fishing. Also stays in the strike zone longer.

In cold water, vertical is best. If you find them, work them hard but be patient. Sometimes they hit it on the drop and all you notice is that your line stays or goes slack. Other times they want it nearly stationary. A small 'tic' is all you feel. I like smaller marabou jigs 1/32 or 1/16. The feathers move well even if you hold it still.

I've also seen many times where the little bastages school up suspended a few yards away from brush piles. Once I find them, I usually do OK.

Thanks for the tips. Does the weather seem to affect the bite much or do the usually bite fairly consistently?

7. Member
    Prefer not frozen lol.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips. Does the weather seem to affect the bite much or do the usually bite fairly consistently?
    in my opinion your best bite will be from October-April. Find you a local dock or marina that will let you fish from the dock. Thats the best way to learn to vertical jig! The amount of knowledge I learned on dock was crucial for me crappie fishing from a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    in my opinion your best bite will be from October-April. Find you a local dock or marina that will let you fish from the dock. Thats the best way to learn to vertical jig! The amount of knowledge I learned on dock was crucial for me crappie fishing from a boat.
    Good point! With a dock you can get into some good fishing, meet some good folks, and learn to feel light bites. No worry about boat position, wind, etc. I've fished many around here and have done well. Being inside a heated dock is nice, too!

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Good point! With a dock you can get into some good fishing, meet some good folks, and learn to feel light bites. No worry about boat position, wind, etc. I've fished many around here and have done well. Being inside a heated dock is nice, too!
    Yep, I still go with my 82 year old grandfather often and get in on some good life lessons!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Yep, I still go with my 82 year old grandfather often and get in on some good life lessons!!!

Thanks for the advice. I was going to go to the lake on my last set of days off, but the lakes had a little to much ice on them. Hopefully I can get on the water in a week or so.