Mercury \ Sportmaster Warranty?

I'm thinking about buying a Bullet with a Mercury Pro XS and know I will need to change the lower unit to a Sportmaster and I was concerned that it would void the warranty of the motor. I ask this because I added a nose cone to one several years back and the lower unit went out and the dealer that I bought the boat and motor from replaced the lower unit once but said he couldn't do it again due to he had to replace it out of pocket since Mercury would not replace due to modifications. Does the Sportmaster have warranty? Thanks in advance for any input.

All of mine did !
    There not modified.

New Sportys have warranty however if one is put on a “Pro XS” that Prolly is considered a modification. I’ve done it several times with no warranty issues but I have a great relationship with my dealer....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Why would you "know" that you need a Sportsmaster?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which Bullet?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    When I got my new sportmaster the end of 2016 I was told it came with a one year warranty.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think there's some confusion here- believe the OP is talking about buying a 250 ProXS and then "transplanting" a Sportmaster onto the engine.

While all Mercury Parts and Accessories come with a 1-year Warranty, you DEFINITELY need to read the Engine Owner's Manual (specifically the EXCLUSIONS section). Pay close attention to the comments regarding Modification of the Product, or use with a Racing Gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor