Lithium Batteries for a new boat rig

I see the lithium battery debate seems to be a "polarized" one that seems to burn out quickly, I am assuming due to the cost not being for everyone.

In the next few months I will be rigging a new boat (Sea Ark Pro Cat 240) complete with electronics, trolling motor, engine, etc. Since I am starting from scratch, I am considering going the lithium route, although mostly for the weight savings.

I was assuming to install a 36 volt motor and at first thought I would install a single 36 volt battery along with a single 12 volt for cranking/sonar power. This in lieu of installing three 12 volt gel or AGM batteries.

The boat will spend more time at rest than it will in the water by a long shot. But, when used I want it to be 100% trouble free and run for the full time at 100%, say for 1-2 days at a time. Not remotely a "tournament" boat.

Two other considerations I have with the batteries are a charging system capable of applying charge while the motor is running and a 110 volt solution for topping off and maintenance or storage charging, and wiring in a master/kill switch so there are no issues with parasitic voltage drain from electronics.

I know no matter what end system I go with there will be positives and negatives, also challenges to get the most versatile setup possible. But now is the time to plan this all out.

I welcome any experiences that someone has had, good or bad.

One issue in the "debate" is the fire potential, but does anyone actually know of any occurrence of a small boat application such as this where a fire has occurred?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    I see the lithium battery debate seems to be a "polarized" one that seems to burn out quickly, I am assuming due to the cost not being for everyone.
    The slow to gain wide popularity of lithium power technology for recreational marine use seems is not just the high costs......it is the lack of popular and well established reputable battery manufacturers willing to venture into the market.......

Not a one of the most popular marine battery manufacturers ( East Penn, Johnson Controls, Synersys and so forth) with their battery experience and vast manufacturing resources is yet willing to make or sell a lithium battery for use in a recreational boat.

Most of the recent companies marketing lithium batteries for use in our rec boats 1) are small start-up companies having limited capital investments with little name risks and 2) they do not manufacture lithium cells or even own the facilities needed to manufacture them..... They obtain lithium cells by purchases made overseas and only need to assemble the obtained lithium cells into a case adding a Battery management module and then sell it as being "their" marine battery.

A 'lithium marine battery' can be made by an electronics hobbyist buying available lithium cells and off the shelf parts.

My employer produced the very first commercial lithium cell and has since manufactured something like over a billion of them. But you will not find them offering to produce a lithium battery for use in any recreational boat.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.

3. Member
    Terrific post Lou, will be well heeded.

As is usually the case, it's all about the marketing Kool-Aide one drinks. I will pass on this flavor.

4. Banned
    Its only the cost that are making people claim they arent the cats meow..

3 agm at 350 each isnt that far from one lithium at 2100.
    Last edited by Jeff from Iowa; 01-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    The slow to gain wide popularity of lithium power technology for recreational marine use seems is not just the high costs......it is the lack of popular and well established reputable battery manufacturers willing to venture into the market.......

Not a one of the most popular marine battery manufacturers ( East Penn, Johnson Controls, Synersys and so forth) with their battery experience and vast manufacturing resources is yet willing to make or sell a lithium battery for use in a recreational boat.

I don't suppose that has anything to do with the profit margin of selling a gazillion lead acid batteries that cost 5-30 bucks each to make in Mexico, Korea, Romania...Nah....couldn't be.

Lithiums obviously aren't for everyone due to the intial cost's, but every other aspect of them blows away lead acid. 3000 to 5000 cycles...(that's fishing days boys) incredible performance, light weight. ZERO maintenance.

For the OP...There are charge on the run systems. If you go with a lithium, make sure you charge with a charger suitable for the brand of battery you choose. I went with a reprogrammed dual pro for my specific relion batteries charge profile. My Ranger boat is a power hog, with 3 HDS units, power poles, Ranger livewells which are very heavy on pump usage, not to mention starting the Pro XS...I cannot deplete the charge of an 80AH Lithium running all that for 2 fishing days.

As far as safety...just google Lifepo4 technology and come to your own conclusions. I know of zero fires caused by Lifepo4 technology. I would imagine lead acid batteries have caused thousands of fires.
    Last edited by dean c; 01-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.

6. Banned
    call this guy and tell him i sent you. he can answer all your questions

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post

Most of the recent companies marketing lithium batteries for use in our rec boats 1) are small start-up companies having limited capital investments with little name risks and 2) they do not manufacture lithium cells or even own the facilities needed to manufacture them..... They obtain lithium cells by purchases made overseas and only need to assemble the obtained lithium cells into a case adding a Battery management module and then sell it as being "their" marine battery.

A 'lithium marine battery' can be made by an electronics hobbyist buying available lithium cells and off the shelf parts.

My employer produced the very first commercial lithium cell and has since manufactured something like over a billion of them. But you will not find them offering to produce a lithium battery for use in any recreational boat.

It would help if you clarify what all this cryptic commentary means. You said your employer makes lithium batteries, but never for boats. OK....so don't leave us hanging...why not?
    I have no idea what any of this means or how it matters to the end user like me. I've never heard of East Penn or Synersys....but I'm about to buy some Lithium batteries from somebody.
    I'm not sure why it matters if the components are made in China or USA...auto manufacturers do this also.
    Last edited by toofy; 01-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.

8. Member
    I have spent some time researching the Lithium VS conventional battery debate, here are some of the facts I found and places one can do there own research to educate themselves, if they care to be educated:

1. Lithium Ion seems to be the safest of the lithium group of battery types, but it's not impervious to failure. If it has a failure and experiences a "thermal runaway" you can guarantee there will be damage to whatever item the battery is mounted in. Also, the fire can be very difficult to put out. Conventional batteries have no issue with this. Electrical fires on boats due to voltage supply with conventional batteries are due to dead shorts and the wires/insulation heating and starting a fire.

2. No one can argue LiIon does not have better cycling characteristics than conventional batteries. They typically hold useful charge longer due to retaining the amount of voltage typically required by the item draining them. They retain their percentage of recharge, and can go through more drain/charge cycles than conventional batteries. When they are exhausted and need recharging, the end is sudden, complete, and without warning.

3. They are very expensive. (maybe disproportionately) This due to manufacturing costs, import costs, multiple layers of markup, and other behind the scene items. For example, a Lithium Pro single 36V 40 AH battery is advertised at $2,199.00. Locally I can buy three 12 V Deka (East Penn) AGM group 31 batteries at $230.50 each, (add $15 if no core) for a total of $691.50. This is 31.5% the cost, or in other words, it would cost over 3 times as much to use LiIon in this case. Thus, for the same investment, maybe less due to core refunds, I can replace the batteries 2 more times. I currently have a large boat with AGM's that I have been running going on their 6th season.

4. LiIon battery companies are smaller companies who are not manufacturing 100% of their product. They are typically "assembling" the batteries with the components purchased elsewhere.(asummably from outside the US) From what I have ascertained, the largest risk for catastrophic failure in LiIon batteries is in the manufacture of the layered "wafer" cells. These need to be manufactured in a "clean room" environment so no metallic particles get introduced between the layers of lithium and insulator. There is nothing "wrong" with purchasing from a smaller company, this is the USA and that's what we are built on. For conventional batteries, I am sure someone could buy them from Wally World and get (cheaper?) units made in an economy outside the US. But if I look at East Penn, a company who's products I have purchased before and used as example in point #3, they are a US family owned company employing American citizens at all levels of manufacture. For warranty standpoint, as long as the smaller company has longevity or "horsepower" behind it, it should be good. I would assume reading the fine print would be in order, and the odds of getting issues resolved long distance VS locally would come into play too.

5. Weight and overall loading is one place LiIon kills the competition. Battery for battery one will save approximately 30# of total loading. If you look at the example above, where 3 conventional batteries are compared to one LiIon, there are substantial savings. The LiIon is advertised at 30.3# and the AGM batteries are 67.5# each. This yields a difference of 172.2# less load. Or the LiIon is only 15% the weight of the three AGM batteries.

6. Recycling, for conventional any retailer will take your core and hand you some cash, typically $15.00. For LiIon I have found a lot of conflicting info ranging from you can drop them at local recycling centers (no refund) to one may have to pay to dispose of larger batteries such as the type we are discussing here.

For anyone who cares to educate themselves further on batteries, I strongly suggest you go to the battery university site http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

There is a great deal of info there.

For info on individual companies, Google is your friend. Just put a few minutes of effort in and you can trace down most of what you care to find out.

For myself I will be rigging with conventional AGM batteries. I would love the weight savings but for the cost VS the unknown VS potential warranty issues, LiIon doesn't feel promising enough. I also assume there are new battery "breakthroughs" coming and the AGM's will get me through the next 5 years, in which time I expect something different to be on the market. In the mean time the $ for LiIons will be redirected for addition square inches of electronic underwater displays.

9. Member
    I've seen the results of thermal runaway in Lithium Ion, Silver Zinc, and Nickel Cadmium batteries. They make explosions and internal melt-downs of a conventional Lead-acid battery look like a popcorn fart compared to a hand grenade.
    In the cases of batteries not of the Lead-acid type there is the potential of rapid discharge and a plethora of conductors. The Lithium Ion batteries I've seen have lots and lots of small cells connected in series/parallel to give them the rated voltage and amperage. Lead acid 12 volt batteries have 6 cells, Nicads about 10 and Silver Zinc about 9 or 10. The limited number of Lithium Ion batteries that I've seen, 12 volt system, had what looked like about 30 cells and quite a bit if interconnecting wiring. I'm pretty sure a Lithium Ion battery will torch anything near it if it experiences thermal runaway unless it has quite a protective case around it.

10. Member
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of a single boat fire from one of these Lithium batteries? I think the Chris Lane episode was unrelated to the battery.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
    I have spent some time researching the Lithium VS conventional battery debate, here are some of the facts I found and places one can do there own research to educate themselves, if they care to be educated:

1. Lithium Ion seems to be the safest of the lithium group of battery types, but it's not impervious to failure. If it has a failure and experiences a "thermal runaway" you can guarantee there will be damage to whatever item the battery is mounted in. Also, the fire can be very difficult to put out. Conventional batteries have no issue with this. Electrical fires on boats due to voltage supply with conventional batteries are due to dead shorts and the wires/insulation heating and starting a fire.

2. No one can argue LiIon does not have better cycling characteristics than conventional batteries. They typically hold useful charge longer due to retaining the amount of voltage typically required by the item draining them. They retain their percentage of recharge, and can go through more drain/charge cycles than conventional batteries. When they are exhausted and need recharging, the end is sudden, complete, and without warning.

3. They are very expensive. (maybe disproportionately) This due to manufacturing costs, import costs, multiple layers of markup, and other behind the scene items. For example, a Lithium Pro single 36V 40 AH battery is advertised at $2,199.00. Locally I can buy three 12 V Deka (East Penn) AGM group 31 batteries at $230.50 each, (add $15 if no core) for a total of $691.50. This is 31.5% the cost, or in other words, it would cost over 3 times as much to use LiIon in this case. Thus, for the same investment, maybe less due to core refunds, I can replace the batteries 2 more times. I currently have a large boat with AGM's that I have been running going on their 6th season.

4. LiIon battery companies are smaller companies who are not manufacturing 100% of their product. They are typically "assembling" the batteries with the components purchased elsewhere.(asummably from outside the US) From what I have ascertained, the largest risk for catastrophic failure in LiIon batteries is in the manufacture of the layered "wafer" cells. These need to be manufactured in a "clean room" environment so no metallic particles get introduced between the layers of lithium and insulator. There is nothing "wrong" with purchasing from a smaller company, this is the USA and that's what we are built on. For conventional batteries, I am sure someone could buy them from Wally World and get (cheaper?) units made in an economy outside the US. But if I look at East Penn, a company who's products I have purchased before and used as example in point #3, they are a US family owned company employing American citizens at all levels of manufacture. For warranty standpoint, as long as the smaller company has longevity or "horsepower" behind it, it should be good. I would assume reading the fine print would be in order, and the odds of getting issues resolved long distance VS locally would come into play too.

5. Weight and overall loading is one place LiIon kills the competition. Battery for battery one will save approximately 30# of total loading. If you look at the example above, where 3 conventional batteries are compared to one LiIon, there are substantial savings. The LiIon is advertised at 30.3# and the AGM batteries are 67.5# each. This yields a difference of 172.2# less load. Or the LiIon is only 15% the weight of the three AGM batteries.

6. Recycling, for conventional any retailer will take your core and hand you some cash, typically $15.00. For LiIon I have found a lot of conflicting info ranging from you can drop them at local recycling centers (no refund) to one may have to pay to dispose of larger batteries such as the type we are discussing here.

For anyone who cares to educate themselves further on batteries, I strongly suggest you go to the battery university site http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

There is a great deal of info there.

For info on individual companies, Google is your friend. Just put a few minutes of effort in and you can trace down most of what you care to find out.

For myself I will be rigging with conventional AGM batteries. I would love the weight savings but for the cost VS the unknown VS potential warranty issues, LiIon doesn't feel promising enough. I also assume there are new battery "breakthroughs" coming and the AGM's will get me through the next 5 years, in which time I expect something different to be on the market. In the mean time the $ for LiIons will be redirected for addition square inches of electronic underwater displays.
    ALL I see in this whole post is the cost $$ if they were the same price as agm everyone would have them.

12. Banned
    if they last as long as they should the cost will work out to be the same if not cheaper in the long run

13. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    ... You said your employer makes lithium batteries, but never for boats. OK....so don't leave us hanging...why not?
    I did not state they makes lithium batteries....Sony Corp makes lithium cells, and have longer than anyone, now totaling over a Billion units (with a B....which is more than anyone.)

Only when a technology matures and can successfully match the needs of customers in a market at a costs that justifies the product's manufacturing and risks, will a product be produced and offered.

The present Lithium batteries being offered most all are being made from lithium "cells" purchased wholesale such as from Sony and as mentioned simply being batch assembled (at contract manufacturing plants) into lithium "batteries" by investor's recent Lithium Battery companies. These new companies can have little no company name risks should numbers of the batteries prematurely fail or not ever reach end of warranty which could quickly financially force the start-ups out of business.

I have no idea what any of this means or how it matters to the end user like me. I've never heard of East Penn or Synersys....but I'm about to buy some Lithium batteries from somebody.
    Most all lead acid batteries used in recreational boating are made by a very small number of manufacturers. East Penn makes many of the labels you might see in a Walmart or auto parts store. . SynerSys makes the Odyssey AGMs which were also very popular with bass boaters sold under the Sears PM-1 label.

I'm not sure why it matters if the components are made in China or USA...auto manufacturers do this also.
    I agree....I work with and visit many of the electronics manufacturing facilities in China, Japan and throughout Asia and and many are the among, if not the best in the world.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    if they last as long as they should the cost will work out to be the same if not cheaper in the long run
    I don't think this is true. I haven't ran the data from ReLion because I want to only use pricing everyone can get and I have not seen any reliable pricing structure from them. If I were to get that data I would love to update the spreadsheet with it. There are some assumptions here, the first big one is that Lithium batteries will last 10 years, AGMs will last 4, and Lead Acid (LA) will last 3. This is my experience, but I know many have said they get AGMs to last over 5 years. That makes the Lithium economics even worse. Battleborn also does not currently offer a cranking battery, which is necessary for extreme weight savings but also very expensive from Lithium Pros.

Personally, I am going to go the cheap route this year (need all new batteries as mine are toast) because I expect Lithiums to be the best solution in 3-4 years when I have to buy again. The economics are not quite there yet, but getting closer every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Banned
    yea my chart looks a bit different just cause i got a killer deal. there are other things to factor in such as gas savings due to less weight

16. Member
    One thing that rarely gets added in, is that prices generally do not go down for lead acid batteries. If anything what I’ve seen is prices slowly going up but my battery quality likely going down. My first set of AGM I got 6 years. My last only 3. Initial investment 5-10 yrs down the road cheapens it in a relative sense unless you really want to get technical with that initial investment and calulate what you could possibly make investing that money over the next 5-10 yrs. if anything lead acid is likely to rise, or quality go down with the prices of lead. Lithium batteries most likely go down long term, but I waited 3 yrs and saw no real significant movement until battle born, but that’s also taking a chance on a relatively small company (I did and am happy so far). As for Relion, their main retail outlet is Carolina Energy who has an online store. I don’t know if it’s possible to get deals locally through their distribution network but it might be possible. Their local distributor was essentially impossible to get a hold of so I went another direction. Mr Bergstrom was helpful in answering my questions but wanted to refer me to their local person who never called me back and I don’t deal with those types of companies. Lots of factors go into your choice for lithium, wt and convenience for sure, but relative cost to the individual also adds in. IMO lithium certainly is the future. Just my $0.02

17. Member
    These comments are absolutely true. The table I posted only shows price of the batteries, and doesn't include performance benefits due to weight savings, or the ability to use the TM longer in the wind due to decreased voltage drop off. With my boat, saving 150# would gain me 4-5mph with my current prop and probably save me a ton in fuel. That certainly has some value to me, just not 2k. If I was a pro, rich, or got a killer deal on lithiums, I would switch in a heartbeat. Definitely an improvement over Lead Acid technology for our application.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Banned
    I could care less about the cost, all I want is the faster recharge and lighter weight. period

Ive got agm from 2009 still going strong that were in my last boat, if you plug it in all the time theyll last just fine.

19. Member
    Lithium batteries have come along way in there development. There advantages are numerous in comparison to lead acid types.

Li-Ion batteries are all around us and already in are lives everyday.

Is Lithium batteries as dangerous in a boat than Lead acid?!?

I have not to my knowledge heard of one single Li-Ion battery incident in a bass boat.
    In comparison lead acid out numbers Li-Ion in big numbers, in this group word would travel fast. And would very possibly ruin the Li-Ion marine market and the company that had an incident.

I have not researched the companies that supply Marine Li-Ion batteries and what cells they use in the manufacture. I would assume they use Top of the line Panasonic or sony cells in there batteries. And not knock off china cells, as this small savings could be detrimental to there business as a whole.

IMO, Lithium can be as safe or possible even safer than lead acid. With the safety that is built into todays currently available Marine Li-Ion batteries.

I would say the Marine and Automotive world is ripe for a big name company to shake the market up.

Li-Ion technologies are already in use in the automotive world, either hybrid or total electric technologies.

With battery of any type there will always be risks, heck anything electrical in a boat is a risk.

I would have Li-Ion in my boat in an instant, the reason I don't,,,,easy COST!
    Yes in long term it would be worth it and probably even save you money, just in gas alone. But some of us don't have that amount laying around for the initial investment.

I will wait till the prices drop some more!
    Last edited by moetorola; 01-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.