Neko rig hook and placement

I feel like it should be very simple but has my head spinning too much.
    Wondering about using a traditional wacky hook versus a drop-shot type hook versus the longer Shank Neko vmc style hook. What is the reasoning behind the Neko rig Hook by vmc vs alternatives?
    Also what is the reasoning for people placing the hook parallel to the bait instead of perpendicular like on a wacky rig?
    I'm just trying to understand the mechanics behind the reasoning for the hook choice and hook Direction relative to a wacky rig that effectively just has a nail weight in the bottom.
    Which way do fish usually eat the bait from?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I would also like to understand the placement of the hook whether it is closer to the head/weight or closer to the tail and how this effects the action. thanks

3. Member

4. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 01-04-2018 at 09:03 AM.

5. Member
    Small O ring , placement can be center of the worm or more towards the tail. It depends on what you like for the situation. I’m starting to like the screw in ball heads because you don’t have to worry about it falling out and dabbing super glue on all the time . As for the hook I like the gamakatsu BTS stinger size 2 for worms. Brent Ehrler uses it and it’s pretty similar to that Vmc Neko hook. Difference is you can get 25 hooks for $10 .

I always try to place the hook so that the worm hangs "evenly" when hooked and held up by the line. This means hooking closer to the nose and to the weight than you would with a weightless wacky worm.

I've been using heat shrink on my wacky rigs instead of o-rings with great success. 1/4 for trick/finesse worms, 3/8 for senkos. Slide a half inch section onto the worm about where you want to hook it, then stick the hook straight through. Hit it with a lighter first if you want. This allows the hook point to be perpendicular to the worm and prevents the worm from shielding the point - much better hook ups. This does make the rig more prone to snags, but the improved hookups are worth it to me. You can also hook it with the point in line with the worm if you'd rather. In any case, the heat shrink makes a worm last MUCH longer than an o-ring, and prevents the unnatural creasing that an o-ring causes to boot.

I've started using tungsten nail weights in most situations for their compact size and ability to be completely inserted into the worm. No more getting weeds and/or slime wedged between the weight and the worm. I've found that gluing the worm closed after inserting the weight prevents losing weights on hard casts or when you want to skip it under a dock or something. I'll still use the exposed weights when fishing around rocks when I want a clicking sound.

I caught a lot of fish on the Neko this year. This is just what worked for me. Like everything, everyone else's mileage may vary.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. BBC SPONSOR
    This is on my list for technique to learn this year. Never tried it. I can see how it can be effective.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    This is on my list for technique to learn this year. Never tried it. I can see how it can be effective.

Me too. I just purchased the nail weights. I wacky rig weightless worms all the time but I have never used O rings. In the video, Seth mentioned size 36 O rings that he buys. What do you guys use for your O rings? Do you buy the wacky rig O ring tool or go to a box store and just buy the O rings?
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

9. Member
    I LOVE the vmc neko hook for both the neko rig and the drop shot and a wacky senko. The longer shank gives room for bait to slide up and out of the bend of the hook and you don't loose fish. Also the longer shank the fish bite the shank and not an inch above the knot like they do with a traditional day hook
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Small O ring , placement can be center of the worm or more towards the tail. It depends on what you like for the situation. I’m starting to like the screw in ball heads because you don’t have to worry about it falling out and dabbing super glue on all the time . As for the hook I like the gamakatsu BTS stinger size 2 for worms. Brent Ehrler uses it and it’s pretty similar to that Vmc Neko hook. Difference is you can get 25 hooks for $10 .
    The B10s is where VMC got the idea from. Plenty of guys were using that hook for wacky/neko rigging before VMC came out with that. Funny thing is it's a fly tying hook, but it's an amazing wacky/neko hook. By far the best I've ever used

11. Member
    Mustad also came out with a Neko hook