Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    Thanks to you for a great insite into this.
    The thought behind relays is that I could activate and deactivate the power to the Talons when needed.
    The insight into the difference between the temporary and continuous energized relays is something that I will keep in mind.
    Yes the current rating for each Talon is 30 Amps.
    So a cut off switch should be single 8 gauge in to a single 60 Amp switch and two fused 10 gauge wires out. Or a seperate 30 Amp switch with 10 gauge wires in and out fused for each Talon. This would give the option to disconnect a single Talon if electrical issues arise.
    Someone suggested that the Talons be wired through the Master Switch. With my boat having two 20 Amp circuits running through the Master Switch adding additional current would mean that I would need a 100Amp switch :-0
    A descent idea but I like the idea of beind able to energize the Talons when needed. I might look into having the two switches by the master switch. (That was why I thought about Relays, small switches and wirering needed at the helm)
    Any pictures of what you used would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.
    I think that I will use the switches and see is my Alzheimer's remembers to turn them off at the end of the day.
    I don't use the relays for this purpose. I use a battery cutoff switch. I locate the switch by the battery and depending on what I'm putting on the switch depends on the size of the switch. Usually if I'm rigging to cutoff the front, console, anchors, depth finders, and other accessories I use one switch rated at 250A. Yes, that's overkill but I don't want a connection problem and I've found once you reach a certain size, cost is minimal to go bigger. I'll put everything except the outboard and the battery charger on that switch, then put the charger plug next to the switch so when you grab the charger plug it reminds you to turn the power off. You should also have something like this on the trolling motor batteries to keep a parasitic draw from pulling those batteries down. Also, allows you to charge without unplugging when you turn it off. Before long, it happens when you're removing or connecting the tie down straps as part of the loading/unloading ritual.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I to was thinking of putting a couple switches in the lines. I believe you want the switch to be rated more than the fuse, so in case of problem the fuse blows and not the switch burns up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jtron-On-Of...VX2Gr6&vxp=mtr

my issue is with the wiring. Can't I just run 12 awg from minn kota's fuse to the switch and then 12 back to minn kota's 14 and call it a day?
    Last edited by Fishead1167; 01-03-2018 at 10:42 AM.

3. Banned
    Does blue sea make a battery disconnect that can disconnect the tm batterys and starting? both by throw one switch?

4. Member
    I don't know of one from Blue Sea, but looks like this Cole Hersee one does:
    https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4405...-Series-500A-/
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Nice thanks. thats worth adding

6. Member
    Pull the in line fuses out when not using

7. Member
    I use the same white On/Off switch as above for my dual poles. Works perfectly for me. I used 2ga wire I believe for the main to the battery.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Wow I ordered that yesterday and got it today.. Its got a feature I didnt even notice a lock hole you can lock it either way thats interesting.....

Its bigger than most people want, probably, it will take a 3" hole saw to install. Im up for it. Thanks again. This one switch will eliminate 3 items I was having to turn on and off.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Wow I ordered that yesterday and got it today.. Its got a feature I didnt even notice a lock hole you can lock it either way thats interesting.....

Its bigger than most people want, probably, it will take a 3" hole saw to install. Im up for it. Thanks again. This one switch will eliminate 3 items I was having to turn on and off.
    I havn't used it, but use this company for several of my electrical shop needs/supplies. I figured with the abiilty to cutoff two different circuits there would be some bulk, but since it's a "panel" mount it should look clean once installed. Let us see it when you're done.
    BTW, can't be any worse than some of the Perko switches I've seen in boats.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Banned
    I think I’m putting it in the battery compartment. I store my fish finder covers and motor mate in there anyways so it’s always opened closed at the ramp.

11. Banned
    Thanks for posting the picture of the Shut off switch LuistLTZ looks great.
    I like the idea of having it on the side so I can get to it.
    I also like John's multipurpose switch idea. Nice.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Keep posting the pictures of your set up
    Dwayne

12. Member

I used a switched and a bus bar. Bought them both at west Marine. You simply run the positive cable to the switch and then to the bus bar. This allows you to have a good connection with all your gadgets instead of stacking them on top of each other on a single battery post. It also turns off power to everything which has allowed my battery to receive a full charge ever time and last longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Phoenix 819, 200 HP Mercury Pro Xs.

13. Member
    Curious what the benefit of this is supposed to be (honest question, no troll).

2017 Nitro Z-21 Pro Performance w/ 250HP OptiMax Motor
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb/36v/45"
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT - Diesel

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
    Curious what the benefit of this is supposed to be (honest question, no troll).
    When not in use they can have a small parasitic draw on your battery. Also when not in use it will eliminate an accidental deployment. Disconnecting them from the power source eliminates this.

15. Banned
    The manual says they have a constant draw.

16. Banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Banned
    sorry rotated it. the switch on the left is the one that cuts off the tm and main battery, it has a lock out or lock on option also. I cut the flanges off it so it would be round when I mounted it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12