Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deciding on an Ultrex vrs. Standard Trolling Motor

I’m ordering a new boat this upcoming weekend. I’m thinking about a trolling motor upgrade and going with a Ultrex. From an average weekend anglers opinion do you think it’s worth the extra money? Is the spot lock feature really worth it? I’ve heard it doesn’t matter what electronics will be on the boat because the GPS is all in the head of the trolling motor. But if you link the trolling motor to your finders to stay around current way points already marked on the finders gps does it still not matter what make and model of finder? How user friendly is it? Or in the end is it just easier to stay with what you’ve had all these years and save the extra money? As I mentioned I’m no pro and I just fish local events so is it really worth the big technology upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Ultrex all the way. Super easy to use. I love mine
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    An ultrex is way worth the upgrade. The gps is all in the head yes. You can choose the link model or the non link model. The link model will only work however with humminbird units. This will provide you with the follow the contour feature, and use waypoints stored in your unit, you will also get a touchscreen remote. If you never plan on getting a bird then no point in spending the extra for the link. However if a bird is possibly in your future get the link you dont have to use it now but its there in the future. All models come with the "point 1" looking antenna this allows you to use the jog feature. The trolling motor is simple to set up and super easy to use. There is no better trolling motor on the market. An ultrex combined with poles gives you the ultimate setup and has you covered from shallow to deep. The spotlock is super accurate when set up, only disadvantage is it will always point your bow into the wind. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me. I wouldnt hesitate doing the upgrade.

If you're a big water smallmouth fisherman it's the only away to go!

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    If you're a big water smallmouth fisherman it's the only away to go!
    If your a fisherman period its the way to go...

6. Member
    It is worth every single penny! Unless you never have wind or currents and always fish shores... it is a must have! Being able to hit spotlock and focus more on the fishing is priceless!

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Ultrex held me on a point for a few hours with 24 mph winds blowing at me.
    It was a local tourney, my partner didn't show, and I could walk from front to back of my boat to fish the whole point.
    Had my limit, and easy culling with the Ultrex.
    Never could have fished there that long, or efficiently without it

Good choice! You'll like the Ultrex

9. Member
    They are worth double what they cost.
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirons988 View Post
    They are worth double what they cost.
    Amen brother - preach it !

My Ultrex is the best fishing money I ever spent. I'll never be without a GPS trolling motor again.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    Dang, now I want one. Where I fish multi species in winter it would be super handy out in deeper water. If your getting a new boat and do go with the ultrex, have them put bird sounders on it for you to match up. You could even use that as a bargaining chip.
    Respect no wake zones, Evinrude guys need a place to race too ;)

13. Member
    My Ultrex held me on a giant school of smallmouth in 40ft of water in 20 plus mph winds for over 4 hours. I didn't have to even touch the trolling motor or think about position!! All I did was fish, I caught them so good it almost wore me out! The Ultrex was amazing

Only time I prefer a Fortrex over a ultrex is slipping through skinny water othe people will say the "power" steering makes some want a ultrex more there as well. Can't go wrong getting the trade in deal for an ultrex as it would sell easy if you change your mind, Fortrex can't be given away at this point
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    My Ultrex is the best fishing money I ever spent. I'll never be without a GPS trolling motor again.
    Amen , Ty for your business Bruce!

16. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    it's almost better than sex!!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    it's almost better than sex!!!
    I wouldnt go that far lol

Quote Originally Posted by APounds91 View Post
    I’m ordering a new boat this upcoming weekend. I’m thinking about a trolling motor upgrade and going with a Ultrex. From an average weekend anglers opinion do you think it’s worth the extra money? Is the spot lock feature really worth it? I’ve heard it doesn’t matter what electronics will be on the boat because the GPS is all in the head of the trolling motor. But if you link the trolling motor to your finders to stay around current way points already marked on the finders gps does it still not matter what make and model of finder? How user friendly is it? Or in the end is it just easier to stay with what you’ve had all these years and save the extra money? As I mentioned I’m no pro and I just fish local events so is it really worth the big technology upgrade. Thanks in advance.
    If you don't get the Ultrex......you will regret that choice. It really is a game changer!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

19. Member
    I have debated getting an ultrex. I fish shallow most of the time and I have heard that the breakaway feature isn't as good as the ultrex. Can someone comment on that?

20. Member
    hydrographics, your statement that the ultrex will always point you into the wind. Does that mean that if you are fishing a spot and catching good and hit spot lock and the wind happens to be at your back, which I do quit often, the boat will turn around and now I'm out of my catching spot. With that in mind, I will have to plan ahead and make sure I'm pointing into the wind before fishing a spot. please clarify more please. thanks

steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast