Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    More time catching less time driving by far. No matter what troller you decide on make sure it has some sort of spot lock. Worth every penny.
    And as far as wind the spot lock will hold you in place but the boat will rotate around the troller to position the bow into the wind as that's the side that has the least wind resistance. With a little exposure it will become second nature to position for the wind. Enjoy.
    Please release me,let me go.

2. Member
    I'm just an average fisherman. The Ultrex just makes things easier. With the GPS you can do so many things. The wind is no longer a hassle, going from Point A to Point B without steering, setting spotlock to change baits or having lunch are just a few advantages off the top of my head.

My wife even says that the Ultrex is the best thing I bought for the boat. I guess she notices how much less stress I have when fishing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    An ultrex is way worth the upgrade. The gps is all in the head yes. You can choose the link model or the non link model. The link model will only work however with humminbird units. This will provide you with the follow the contour feature, and use waypoints stored in your unit, you will also get a touchscreen remote. If you never plan on getting a bird then no point in spending the extra for the link. However if a bird is possibly in your future get the link you dont have to use it now but its there in the future. All models come with the "point 1" looking antenna this allows you to use the jog feature. The trolling motor is simple to set up and super easy to use. There is no better trolling motor on the market. An ultrex combined with poles gives you the ultimate setup and has you covered from shallow to deep. The spotlock is super accurate when set up, only disadvantage is it will always point your bow into the wind. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me. I wouldnt hesitate doing the upgrade.
    Since the Ultrex has a Point One Antenna, I there a need for the puck point one antenna? I just purchased a new boat and it has the ultrex. I wanted the point one ant so I asked the dealership to order and install it. But if it's not needed I will cancel the order.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt View Post
    Since the Ultrex has a Point One Antenna, I there a need for the puck point one antenna? I just purchased a new boat and it has the ultrex. I wanted the point one ant so I asked the dealership to order and install it. But if it's not needed I will cancel the order.
    the ultrex comes with its own heading sensor , Not a Point 1 GPS antenna like a lowrance , the heading sensor is only used in conjunction with the jog feature the GPS itself is all built into the trolling motor. A Point 1 is great but has nothing to do with the ultrex.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steve a View Post
    hydrographics, your statement that the ultrex will always point you into the wind. Does that mean that if you are fishing a spot and catching good and hit spot lock and the wind happens to be at your back, which I do quit often, the boat will turn around and now I'm out of my catching spot. With that in mind, I will have to plan ahead and make sure I'm pointing into the wind before fishing a spot. please clarify more please. thanks

steve
    yes that is correct if your on a great spot and the wind is to your back and you go to spotlock the boat will rotate around and point you into the wind, I find myself fishing off the back of the boat sometimes because of this, it is the one and only complaint about the ultrex, but for all the advantages ill deal with its 1 disadvantage.

6. Member
    You will smile and shake your head the first time you use spot lock on an Ultrex.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    yes that is correct if your on a great spot and the wind is to your back and you go to spotlock the boat will rotate around and point you into the wind, I find myself fishing off the back of the boat sometimes because of this, it is the one and only complaint about the ultrex, but for all the advantages ill deal with its 1 disadvantage.
    Not always true in heavy current. I don't believe the Ultrex points you in any direction, it simply sets a spot and outside forces (IE: wind or current) push the boat around the Ultrex.

Nailer
    2000 STRATOS 20SS EXTREME
    2011 EVINRUDE ETEC 250 HO
    HELIX 10 AND 12 SI
    10' BLADES
    ULTREX/ I PILOT LINK
    HUMMINBIRD 360

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NailerB View Post
    Not always true in heavy current. I don't believe the Ultrex points you in any direction, it simply sets a spot and outside forces (IE: wind or current) push the boat around the Ultrex.

Nailer

^^^Exactly^^^

9. Member
    If you engage spot lock with the wind at your back, the motor will find its way to the spot you locked, the back of the boat will find its way facing the back (little end) of the wind sock. Front of the boat is still on the point locked so you can fish off the front if you want. If you want to fish off the back, hit the jog forward and move rearward to your spot. This works really well if you are casting to a fixed position from where you hit the spot, wind at your back and less backlashes. I just installed a new Ultrex Ipilot Link on my boat and used it yesterday for the first time. It is a motor that tells me to go fishing on windy days that normally I would just stay home. Get the ILink version and a G2N bird and circle your weigh point at a chosen distance but you can jog with either one as well as cruise control and auto pilot. Learn more by going to the Minn Kota website and downloading the operators manual for the Ultrex.......as long as this thing is long lived, best money I have spent on a fishing accessory.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NailerB View Post

Nailer
    current and wind 2 very different things.. I was talking wind without current. You are correct it will hold into the current no matter the wind direction... I agree it is more then worth the money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12