caracal, puma ftd, cougar ftd -which can get in shallowest water?

From a running on plane and standing on the trolling motor perspective. Thanks

assuming Puma and cougar will be identical. Maybe it's just a question then of the caracal. !

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've had two Cougars. I now have a Caracal. I've not noticed any difference.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Scraps
    Not on your list but I'd guess an Eyra.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

If it helps any I had a P2, a pumaftd and now a Jag. They all will fish very shallow. The Jag being the wide body actually floats very well and I'd expect the same of the caracal. The P2 probably was the easiest to get up out of a shallow spot because it is just a blast off rocket with a 200. The pumaftd with two talons and four batteries probably drafted the deepest on the troller. BCB says the puma with a belly tank is made for shallow water. Unless you go tin I don't think you will find another glass hull do much better in the shallows. I was surprised how shallow the Jag can fish. It has not kept me out of anywhere I'd want to fish so far.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    If it helps any I had a P2, a pumaftd and now a Jag. They all will fish very shallow. The Jag being the wide body actually floats very well and I'd expect the same of the caracal. The P2 probably was the easiest to get up out of a shallow spot because it is just a blast off rocket with a 200. The pumaftd with two talons and four batteries probably drafted the deepest on the troller. BCB says the puma with a belly tank is made for shallow water. Unless you go tin I don't think you will find another glass hull do much better in the shallows. I was surprised how shallow the Jag can fish. It has not kept me out of anywhere I'd want to fish so far.
    I agree 100%

Our vote is the Lynx or Puma FTD.

You guys are putting costly thoughts in my head
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Getting on plane I like at least 2' of water, 3' preferred. The boat with jackplate can handle less but I don't like paying to replace seals all the time. Mind you this is a boat that also handles 8' waves while remaining dry.
    January 1st and you have quite literally said the dumbest thing on the internet this entire year.

9. Member
    See you are from Falls Church, right around the corner from me. Shallow of course is relative--look at any skeg at Leesylvania and it has no paint, from getting on plane in 2-3' of water. I have had my Puma on TM in a foot or less with no problem. Where are you fishing that you need to get shallower than that?

10. Member
    I have a puma now and want a caracal. But if puma will go shallower that’s what I’ll stick with. Even if it’s just a matter of a couple inches.

The Puma will go shallower than the Caracal, though some Caracal owners think otherwise. You can go belly tank and change it's heel angle though.

12. Member
    Any plans on bringing back the Puma as an Advantage Series package similar to the Cougar Advantage SP? The under seat gas tank of the Puma does make it a good shallow water platform.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

So the Puma FTD and Cougar FTD run the same as far as shallow water running due to the hull is the same with just a different top cap/layout?
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    So the Puma FTD and Cougar FTD run the same as far as shallow water running due to the hull is the same with just a different top cap/layout?
    That is pretty much the case. In fact, there's not a whole lot of difference in any model of Cat as to how shallow they can run. Probably no more than an inch or two.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

15. Member
    If you could find a PUMA with the under seat gas tank it would certainly float shallower than the FTD versions. Better hole shot for sure and less draft.

I know that doesn't answer the original question, Bass Cat has taken care of that. I just thought I'd throw that in about the original Puma. Also, the P-II is an excellent shallow water fishing boat due to the under seat tank and great hole shot.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.