Options for clear coating crankbaits

I purchased my son an airbrush kit for Christmas and he needs to clear coat some crankbaits. What product should he use and what is the best procedure to apply, links to the exact product greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The big standard is Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Just brush it on and put it on a lure turner or keep turning it by hand until it sets. There are other products and it starts a pissing match a lot of places. But standard answer is the 2 ton.

Dip and hang with KBS Diamond Clear

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I
    ^^^ This. I dip and turn, but dip and hang will work. KBS is not cheap, but works great and does not yellow with time. If you dip and hang, put an opened-up paper clip in the bottom hook hanger and the excess finish will not dry on the bait.

Devcon 2 ton epoxy worked for me. I never had a turner so I just hung mine.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Best I have found so far.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

7. Member
    I just paint for a hobby as I just like to do it. I have probably given away more than I have kept, so hopefully we can save your son a few problems along the way.

I've never used KBS Diamond Coat, but I've read a lot of good things about it is about all I've got to offer on that. I Use two clear coats, which one is dependant on lure weight.

I Use a concrete sealer by Direct Colors which is a c 1315 high gloss concrete sealer. I purchase it from the company in Shawnee OK. I dip it (be quick), hang the lure, let it drip, and after about 15 minutes, I blot the excess with a paper towel, let it sit about an hour or two, and dip again. The tail is down and I dip the lip also. This clear works well for me on jerkbaits, small topwaters, and other small lures which Devcon 2 might overwhelm due to being a heavier clear. If the lure has a rough surface, it will not be as glossy as Devcon, but if the lure surface is smooth, it will gloss up good. The downside is it has a strong smell, with fumes which don't need to be inhaled. Also, before dipping, I have to put on a couple of light coats of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel, or I get paint crazing. This clear is very strong, but it takes a while to fully cure,may react to certain plastics, and stinks until is cured.

I Use Devcon 2 slow cure(30 minutes) for crankbaits and larger lures, with a turner. I add a few drops of alcohol in it when mixed, and usually get about 3 cranks brushed before it starts to set up. If I want glitter on a lure, I mix it with this clear. I use glitter designed for use with gloss coatings, by a company called Component Systems in WI. This clear is strong, easy to apply, virtually no fumes, and glosses up great. It is heavier than most, which can affect the action of some lures. I have to order mine, most times for Amazon. I have tried the epoxy from Hobby Lobby, (Bob Smiths?) and it also works well. It's a friendly clear, just make sure the surface is clean and oil free from touching it before applying, or defect occur. Best of luck.

8. Member
    Another vote for diamond clear.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

This is purely for hobby/enjoyment and in very limited, quantities not a mass produced production needing to make a profit. My son ordered some of the KBS Diamond clear today as that sees to be popular and well suited for smaller baits as that is mostly all he is painting.

I did not expect such a steep learning curve when I purchased this for him for Christmas but he is getting the hang of it. I gave him a bunch of old beat up crankbaits to practice on and he has already came along way. He built a pretty nice "paint booth" and has spent almost every night practicing his airbrush skills and has really improved. I am pretty sure he will need a better gun in the near future but if nothing else this cheaper set will teach him how to maintain a better quality gun.

Our goal is to be able to take certain colors/patterns we have success with such as Spro's Spring Craw and paint any crank bait we would like that color but we are finding getting the right colors to be extremely difficult and almost impossible to repeat if we do happen to hit the color mixture just right. I guess with time this will get easier,...or at least I hope!

10. Member
    Glad to hear that things are going well for him. He might find some of the tutorials on YouTube useful. Check out Dakota Lakes Tackle and Lure Me In. I found clips from both of those guys to be helpful.

11. Member
    FYI, Predator Bass Baits has practice lures (cranks) which are 0.50 each. They make great keychains and help a lot with the learning curve.

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    The Devcon yellows too quickly for me.
    I use Bob Smith Ind. 30 min epoxy. Hobby Lobby carries small bottles, larger on ebay from hobby places
    Been using it for 25 yrs. Never a problem.
    It will also yellow over time, which comes from UV rays which means your bait is being used a lot.
    If someone tells you that your bait "yellowed", just say Thanks!

13. Member
    KBS Diamond clear. I have used Devcon 2 ton, and DC 1315 (the concrete sealer). Both KBS and DC 1315 require a well ventilated area and can hang to dry, Devcon really needs to be turned or it will sag. KBS produces a shiny finish and DC1315 produces a matt finish. Only reasons I prefer KBS is it is easier to get and doesn't craze the paint as bad. Baits need to be really dry before dipping with both to get the best results.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Oh, and a respirator would be nice that cuts whatever the fumes are from those products. Not sure what cartridge I have in mine, but it works.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by tnmark View Post
    Our goal is to be able to take certain colors/patterns we have success with such as Spro's Spring Craw and paint any crank bait we would like that color but we are finding getting the right colors to be extremely difficult and almost impossible to repeat if we do happen to hit the color mixture just right. I guess with time this will get easier,...or at least I hope!
    Keep notes!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnmark View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

This is purely for hobby/enjoyment and in very limited, quantities not a mass produced production needing to make a profit. My son ordered some of the KBS Diamond clear today as that sees to be popular and well suited for smaller baits as that is mostly all he is painting.

I did not expect such a steep learning curve when I purchased this for him for Christmas but he is getting the hang of it. I gave him a bunch of old beat up crankbaits to practice on and he has already came along way. He built a pretty nice "paint booth" and has spent almost every night practicing his airbrush skills and has really improved. I am pretty sure he will need a better gun in the near future but if nothing else this cheaper set will teach him how to maintain a better quality gun.

Make sure you get him a good respirator to use while painting. The atomized paint is not very friendly on lungs. I use one of the 3M ones that is made for particles and fine vapors.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    Keep notes!
    Go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and pick up a color wheel. Will help with knowing what colors to mix to get what you want, than like Sunkist said keep notes. I have notes for all of the colors I do, base the mix off of how many drops of each color I use so that I can recreate them as needed. They also sell empty paint bottles like the ones that Createx come in so you can mix larger batches for colors you use a lot of.