Ulterra Anchor Mode Question

Trying to figure out what is going on with the Ulterra. Here is the scenario, 25 foot boat center console, Helix MEGA 10 at the console, Ulterra on the bow, transducer at the stern. Helix and Ulterra are connected. When in anchor mode with just me or another person anchor mode seems to work fine. The other day I had my brother and his 2 sons with us, we were from the center console to the rear of the boat fishing and the Ulterra seemed to have trouble keeping us in position. It would go into the fastest speed to get into position then pass up the mark the reverse back in the fastest speed and then pass up the mark, and then repeat the process over and over again. Now when I would walk forward it seemed to work normal and hold us in position in a more normal steady mode. What would cause this? I just cant imagine that the transducer being an inch deeper in the water would cause this issue, nor the bow of the boat rising an inch either. I am using an inch just as a metaphor. I have no idea if it rose or fell that much. Ideas? Thanks

Jeff

2. Member
    The only time my Ulterra gen2 acted like that was when I first got it and I had not adjusted the Boat Scale for the size of my boat (+2,+1,0,-1,-2). Is it possible that your boat scale setting got accidentally changed? The only other thing I can think of involves the Heading Sensor. Where is your Ulterra's Heading Sensor puck located? I ask because mine is on the stern of my boat with my Ulterra on the bow. I suppose it might be possible to obstruct the signal between the puck and the Ulterra. Since the TM uses that signal to fine tune position if it were disrupted it might cause erratic behavior.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

Depends on his Ulterra model the earlier non-Bluetooth models do not have boat scale adjustment. OP do you have the Bluetooth version?

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

4. Member
    When this happens, try lowering the Ulterra deeper into the water. If it stops, you will know that many people in the back of the boat raise the bow enough to prevent the motor from getting a good bite on the water and make it wander too much

5. Member
    If it is the newer Bluetooth version, one other thing to think about is with the more people on the boat adding additional weight. This could effect the boat scale setting. The boat scale setting for one person in the boat maybe different having more people= more weight.

6. Member
    Thanks for your responses, the Ulterra does have the bluetooth, will have to check on the scale issue, and then try adjusting the height while others are in the boat. Heading sensor is located on the center console. I do not think it was obstructed.

Jeff

7. Member
    If the boat is loaded wrong(everybody in back or all to one side) that makes it very hard to make corrections. Bob