Thread: Plentiful bass

Plentiful bass

Man I don't know if any of you question the population of bass in south Louisiana but, I assure you, there's plenty!!

Every joe blow saltwater fisherman is catching them regularly from chalmette to hopedale, all over lake Catherine thru the rigolets, the chef, even out in the lake on the trestles... its crazy...

I've caught plenty in Delacroix on more trips than I can count in the past several weeks... caught more than I could count in a few hours one day at bayou bienvenue near the ICWW... today, my girlfriend and I caught probably 50 just screwing around off the rigolets at lake Catherine... she even caught a double on a red eye shad, plus a nice 3 pounder... it's unreal!!

2. Member
    I caught some bass off the hwy 11 Bridge a few weeks ago near the bank.
    Canals off Carr Drive you can see them year round.
    The ones I caught were fat.

Just been stuck painting new interior doors I put in the house back in July.
    Wife is not giving me a yard pass.
    Heck she bought me a boat so I am painting doors.

3. Member
    It’s been a good winter so far. This summer should be even better!
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsch1 View Post
    I caught some bass off the hwy 11 Bridge a few weeks ago near the bank.
    Canals off Carr Drive you can see them year round.
    The ones I caught were fat.

Just been stuck painting new interior doors I put in the house back in July.
    Wife is not giving me a yard pass.
    Heck she bought me a boat so I am painting doors.
    i did go hit Carr drive a few times and caught a few but that little marsh gets fished a lot!! I quit fishing east pearl marsh because there's so much pressure over there... there's a dang tournament on that marsh pretty much every weekend....

5. Member
    I stopped because my friends not fishing much at his house.
    Yeah, it sucks at times especially with guy runs full blast right next to where you are fishing.
    They are doing the land restoration work on Bayou Bonfuco / Liberty or I would fish that.
    I caught some nice bass in Liberty and it is pretty.

Then my wife let me buy a boat with my bonus check, so I paid cash for it.
    Then she got on me about painting the interior doors and putting on the hardware.
    I told her how many people have interior doors painted with hardware.
    That didn’t go well it turned into painting the house by October.
    Last edited by jlsch1; 12-31-2017 at 07:40 AM.

6. Member
    Yeah liberty is closest to my house. My holes there are messsed up..

hope all those fish get to deep enough water before this cold weather hits
    1995 20XD 2013 250 proXS

Them fish around Slidell ever get any size to em? The majority of the ones I've caught were like 8"

20XDC / Promax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    Them fish around Slidell ever get any size to em? The majority of the ones I've caught were like 8"

I've been going to Delacroix for bigger average size...(1-2 pounds, my last Delacroix trip trikes a couple 3s, a 4, and a 5 in the same hole) This last trip off the rigolets yielded some 2-3 pounders but mostly 11-12 inchers..

my theory.... as many 1-2 pounders there are in them marshes right now, weekenders keeping limits regularly should help to have some really big ones in a couple years if we can dodge fish killing storms...there no possible way they can be all caught or over fished...there's too much area for them to hide and plenty of food..

10. Member
    Those marsh bass need to go on a diet if they were human.
    i been catching some in the chef bass that are small but fat.
    One I caught had shrimp still in his mouth.

My friend got his new Johnny Morris Tracker heritage boat in.
    For $9995 don’t look bad similar to Pro170 hull with 40 Mercury.
    Interior like a horriable Brown.
    Layouts like Pro 160.
    It is a perfect boat for Lacombe, bonafuco, pearl, chef pass area (just watch wear you launch).

11. Member
    I've been saying for years when some of these areas get full of small bass the ALBC or some organization needs to have a tournament out of that area, 20 bass limit. Have the weighin or release tank take them to an area that needs restocking. You could easily locate 1000 or so bass that are large enough to spawn the same or following year and it wouldn't cost anything but time and not hurt the population at all. Apparently those fish have the genetics to survive here. Might not grow to be the biggest but it would be something pulling on the line and at least a start when some areas are struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    I've been going to Delacroix for bigger average size...(1-2 pounds, my last Delacroix trip trikes a couple 3s, a 4, and a 5 in the same hole) This last trip off the rigolets yielded some 2-3 pounders but mostly 11-12 inchers....
    I usually go to delacroix for the same reason. But it sure would be nice to stay 5-10 min from my wife's parents house and be able to catch 2lb fish. Maybe they just need some more growth time

20XDC / Promax

13. Member
    I think some of the problem in the areas where you get brackish or salt water in is when it comes in the bass drops down on the food chain. If there is no where to hide they become an easy meal. It does make me wonder how much having a larger size bass population hurts the numbers of smaller bass. Survival rate seems to be better in the areas with smaller bass. Maybe there is just more food for them or easier meals to be had than the hatch or very small bass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    I usually go to delacroix for the same reason. But it sure would be nice to stay 5-10 min from my wife's parents house and be able to catch 2lb fish. Maybe they just need some more growth time

Well... they have to grow.. and with the amount of food they have them marshes, they will!!

as far as that relocating thing, no I'd never vote for that..

15. Member
    Well... they have to grow.. and with the amount of food they have them marshes, they will!!

as far as that relocating thing, no I'd never vote for that..
    There were times when you would have,,,but on second thought lets all just go catch a bunch of them and put the knife to them. Its the Louisiana way

16. Member
    There are big ones in a lot of the marsh y’all talking about but I usually don’t catch them when I’m catching the little ones piled up. Definitely not 100’s of 3lbers but I’ve had some 15-18lbs days but to catch the better ones I didn’t catch 30 fish either.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    There were times when you would have,,,but on second thought lets all just go catch a bunch of them and put the knife to them. Its the Louisiana way

"Putting the knife" to 10 bass out of 50 caught in 2 hours is doing what to hurt anything?

18. Member
    "Putting the knife" to 10 bass out of 50 caught in 2 hours is doing what to hurt anything?
    That's the point, if you filet a few or relocate a few you are not hurting anything. In fact,if there are that many it probably helps the area.