Newbie Questions

So tell me about the console switches for the livewell please.

Aerator / Bait Tank / Aerator / Bait Tank / Bilge Pump / Locker Lights

Some of these might need Pro-Hunts input

I assume Bait Tank is fill and Aerator is recirc?

I don't see a timer anywhere - is there one hiding?

Bilge Pump - does Charger normally have an designated automatic bilge also, or does the 1 bilge have an auto float and this is just a manual switch or is there standard only 1 bilge pump and no auto option?

Does Charger usually offer a pump out as standard or extra? I don't see a labeled switch.

The only Locker light I can find is in the port side rod locker. Is this normal? Also, it doesn't seem to come on. Is there a trick?

Does Charger offer a box or tray to hold plano boxes? I thought I saw one on you tube for 1 of the front boxes.

What tool holders are most of you using? Has anybody ever installed a flat rectangular tool holder in the pork chunk tray? Any other good ideas of what to use the pork chunk area for?

Looking for ideas on how some of you who own 496's utilize front 2 storage boxes. What do you do with the space that goes under the deck in the 2 boxes?

Did livewell lights come standard in 2014?

I'm going to the lake in the morning and I know I can answer some of these myself then through trial and error, but would like to get the easy answers if possible.

Thanks - For the record, it looks a lot better in person and it looked good in the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by barbarian; 12-30-2017 at 07:00 PM.

2. Member
    On mine the "bait tank" recirculates and the aerator fills. The pump out valve is in the live well and is manipulated by pushing the nozzle in and out. You should have a auto bilge leaving the switch for just manually turning it on. Mine has lights in all the compartments and live wells. I bought a tray off basscat's website and then used the 3m sided tape to attach it and another tool holder.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

Space in the two front compartments is basically the same as my 396. I used the front as a space for mask, locators and a handful of baits I plan on using that weekend. I leave the other for my partners tackle. I normally put most of my tackle behind the seats.

I can't help with the switches as my 396 had a different design.

The pump outs are the same. Reach in the live well up high on the outside. You can push and pull on the valve to either recirculate or pump out. Remember that in freezing weather you have to winterize those pumps. I generally pull the pumps and vacuum out the water. After that I run some RV antifreeze thru the pumps. I then pull the pumps again. It's supposed to be -8 here Tuesday morn thats why I over do it.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-30-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    I got nothin

Answered your PM about the lights. I never used the locker light so don't know if it ever worked or not.

The other guys are spot on about the recirc and pump out with pushing the valve in/out in the livewell.

Everyone loads their boat different but here is how I had my stuff. In the middle boxes on front deck. Front box was loaded with a lot of plano boxes of lures. The back box I had a bunch of plastic storage containers with my soft plastic baits in them.
    Passenger rod locker was loaded with rods. I normally had around 20 or so rods in there; tubes full and the rest below the tubes.
    Drivers rod locker had net, lure retriever pole, boat bumpers, life jackets, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, save phaces and misc. stuff.
    Behind passenger seat was some more plano boxes of lures and boxes with all my terminal tackle.
    Behind drivers seat was stuffed with my wife's plano boxes with what she wanted to bring.
    Under the seats was all my manuals, jumper cables, prop wrench, extra trolling motor prop and misc. stuff/tools.
    The step up compartment between the consoles had ropes for tying up the boat to a dock.

5. Member
    TOC and myself were working on a tool holder for the pork chunk tray and just couldnt get it right. Here is a link to the ones i made.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ht=tool+holder

Have fun today! Its cold up here!

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Regarding timer....If anything like newer Champs, the timer is a pre-set one. Mine is hiding behind dash, I think. It does not give option to change timing. Not sure if Charger is similar, but it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Regarding timer....If anything like newer Champs, the timer is a pre-set one. Mine is hiding behind dash, I think. It does not give option to change timing. Not sure if Charger is similar, but it might be.
    It's similar. It is part of the fill switch, not adjustable.
    I got nothin

496 starboard Rod box
    I limit it myself to 15-18 rods, which all go in the port rod box. I have a rack in the starboard rod box for my Plano boxes. Center boxes, front one has Plano boxes with crank baits, top water stuff, plastic shoebox with clippers, sissors, line stripper Ect. Rear center box, PFD, throw cushion, extra clothes.

9. Member
    I like that idea bassman. Gave me some ideas. I noticed yesterday there is a seat post under carpet for middle compt. I'm assuming that compt gets wet from rain? Any ideas to prevent that from happening? I could cut carpet exposing base hole and cap or connect hose to base in compt and drain direct.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    I like that idea bassman. Gave me some ideas. I noticed yesterday there is a seat post under carpet for middle compt. I'm assuming that compt gets wet from rain? Any ideas to prevent that from happening? I could cut carpet exposing base hole and cap or connect hose to base in compt and drain direct.
    It should already have a drain hose attached. On the step up to the front deck, compartment between the consoles, is a hole that the hose drains to. Only compartment I ever had water getting into was the step. It was my day box.
    I got nothin

11. Member
    the locker light switch is for livewell lites but will only work if there are livewell lites its an option and not all boats have them they get the switch reguardless

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Easy to add live well lights as the wire is there to hook up by the live well.