Water pressure gauge install question

I just finished installing a water pressure gauge on my boat(thanks for the quick shipping Don) and I have one question. Would it make sense to install a tee somewhere in the tubing line to be able to allow drainage if need be? It would be easy to install a push pull three way connector with one leg blanked off. If this makes sense where would be the best place to install it? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by yandeltx; 12-30-2017 at 05:50 PM.

2. Member
    I installed a two way valve, which I got from Lowes, right next to the gauge and under the console. The valve was one that you use on landscape spray heads (1/8") and it was installed on a short piece of line attached to a "T" in the line just before the pressure gauge . When you open the valve, it drains any water in the gauge, and some of the line going to the gauge. I leave it open during the winter because any water left in the gauge will freeze and damage the gauge. If you forget to close it, it will dribble water on you when you're running the boat though.

3. Member
    As Jeff wrote, plus you can put compressed air into the tee and blow all the water back out of the line into the block.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be very careful about blowing into the line system if it is still connected to the gauge. Too much pressure can (and will) damage the gauge (just like the pressure from water-to-ice expansion does).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jeffadams View Post
    I installed a two way valve, which I got from Lowes, right next to the gauge and under the console. The valve was one that you use on landscape spray heads (1/8") and it was installed on a short piece of line attached to a "T" in the line just before the pressure gauge . When you open the valve, it drains any water in the gauge, and some of the line going to the gauge. I leave it open during the winter because any water left in the gauge will freeze and damage the gauge. If you forget to close it, it will dribble water on you when you're running the boat though.
    +2 After loosing two water pressure gauges in my last skeeter from fishing in sub freezing temps I finally added a T in the line with an on/off valve. you want it low enough so you can easily open it. I was so paranoid I would even suck the water out of the line to make sure all water was out of the gauge!
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250