Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Member
    Always interesting when people ask about very specific brands and get the "you should buy the same as me!", advice.

2. Banned
    Never fished the big lakes, But having fished Toledo Bend and San Rayburn I can tell you with big waves sometimes depending on the distance between the waves and direction of them a big boat can give you a pounding too.
    You sure won't want to be going too fast that's for sure and the boat that is leaving you is taking a pounding too. Just get in with him and see. A lot of how a boat runs in rough water is the driver behind the wheel IMO. Let the
    driver trade places with the passenger and he will feel a big difference also in his own boat. If you want an all around boat for bass fishing a 20 or 21 footer( solid built) would be good and learn to drive it in all conditions. I thought
    I had a good boat with my Aries 2100 (and it was for the price) until it got T-boned on the road and I ended up getting a Z521. Not saying get a Ranger, but test drive a few good brands and make a choice of what feels better for you. Especially if you are willing to spend $70,000.00.

3. Member
    basscat lynx with 250 g2 loaded up
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    Never fished the big lakes, But having fished Toledo Bend and San Rayburn I can tell you with big waves sometimes depending on the distance between the waves and direction of them a big boat can give you a pounding too.
    You sure won't want to be going too fast that's for sure and the boat that is leaving you is taking a pounding too. Just get in with him and see. A lot of how a boat runs in rough water is the driver behind the wheel IMO. Let the
    driver trade places with the passenger and he will feel a big difference also in his own boat. If you want an all around boat for bass fishing a 20 or 21 footer( solid built) would be good and learn to drive it in all conditions. I thought
    I had a good boat with my Aries 2100 (and it was for the price) until it got T-boned on the road and I ended up getting a Z521. Not saying get a Ranger, but test drive a few good brands and make a choice of what feels better for you. Especially if you are willing to spend $70,000.00.
    You bring up a good point. I more than happy with my Z520 but I had a chance to Marshal with Skeet Reese in his Z521C in Lacrosse in the fall of 2016 and that boat of his was an absolute battleship dealing with boat wakes. Of course Skeet's driving skills were unbelievable but that was one of the best rides I've experienced in negotiating boat wakes. I have history with good riding boats too after owning 3 Champions including a 203 in the past. That Z521C was as solid and confidence inspiring in a bassboat as I've ever experienced.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

5. Member
    [QUOTE=Bassin Bob71;9009801]You bring up a good point. I more than happy with my Z520 but I had a chance to Marshal with Skeet Reese in his Z521C in Lacrosse in the fall of 2016 and that boat of his was an absolute battleship dealing with boat wakes. Of course Skeet's driving skills were unbelievable but that was one of the best rides I've experienced in negotiating boat wakes. I have history with good riding boats too after owning 3 Champions including a 203 in the past. That Z521C was as solid and confidence inspiring in a bassboat as I've ever experienced.[

So in your experience, the Ranger 520 runs better in rough water than the Champion 203??? I'm not wanting to cause a bash fest, I've just NEVER, heard of a Champion person admitting this. So based on your experience, the boat owner is king......or is it the boat?

6. GTB
    Ranger , great on big water and still get into skinny water.

7. Member
    I would rather buy a couple year old boat with the motor under warranty and also buy a lightly used tow rig versus spending $70K on just a boat that will lose value right off the top once you tow it off the lot.

But then I bought an old/new boat that sat on the dealers showroom floor for a year. Technically it was a year old, but it had never seen water until we did a water trial on it. Saved me right at 20%, they also threw in a 8' Powerpole, and added two more years to my motor warranty taking it out to 5 years. No complaints from me.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

8. Member
    Triton 22TRX bassboat, or go big with a Triton 216 Fish Hunter.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567